Lionhead Nationals Results

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
You know - a breeder is always proud to take awin at a show. Sometimes you'll see them talking about BOV (Best ofVariety) or BOSV (Best Opposite Sex (of the BOV) of Variety). Thenthere is BOB (Best of Breed) and BOSB (Best Opposite Sex Breed).

Breeders hope to place well when they go to a major show likeNationals....placing in the top ten in your class means you'll belisting it under that rabbit's picture on the website...placing in thetop five means WOW....

Then if you win BOSB or BOB its a big thing. Its a major boost for your rabbitry and folks will be coming to you.

I'm saying all of this to lay the groundwork so you'll understand why this win is so awesome...ok?

Dawn Guth of Bastet's Bunnies took BOB & BOSB at Nationals withher rabbits. To top it off - BOTH RABBITS ARE FROM THE SAMELITTER!

You can see their photos here:

http://www.bastetsbunnies.com/Lionhead_Nestbox_Pages.html

It is the very top litter....

Bastet's Jira - a junior tort doe took BOB
Bastet's Jabba - a junior black buck took BOSB

(It seems unusual to me to see a black take a major win - so this is especially great).

I just had to share.

Peg

P.S. For anyone wanting to buy a lionhead - it is worth yourtime to go look at those photos and see what lionheads "will" belooking like as that is the direction the breed is going (it is still abreed in "development" stages). This isn't to say that other lionheadsare "bad"...just talking about those that are bred for showing!

Pipp,

We had problems w/ the van...it is in the offtopic section and the roll call for Columbus thread..

We're going to rent a car on Monday and meet another breeder inAmarillo to pick up our rabbits from her on her way back home to NM..

Peg

Wow! What an achievement for Dawn and to thinkaccording to her website the BOB winner is a 'gift' for a family thatexperienced a rabbitry fire.

I bet she's got a grin on her face that won't disappear for a few days. :D

Sorry to hear you weren't able to attend but it's great they arekeeping you up-to-date on the happenings in Columbus! I'll be headingto Columbus tomorrow for a "Sunday Drive" to just hang out and seefriends as all the rabbits are in full blownmolt. Willdefinately have to check out the Lionhead area. ;)

Amanda

Dawn is such a sweet lady and I'm so thrilled to hear about her wins!

She lost many rabbits in a fire, and I'm not surprised to hear of her generous offer to help someone else out.

Pam

Woo hoo - my friend Lisa has been "babysitting"one of the auction rabbits - and she wound up falling in love with her.She wound up winning the auction for her - at $600.

Here is Legendary Italy's picture(s)...

http://www.lionhead.us/07nat auction shannon.htm

50% of the money goes to the breeder who donated - and 50% to the club to help them (its their only fundraiser of the year)..

Peg

P.S. Lisa has been saying all week long, "I have enough blackbunnies...I have enough black bunnies...". Guess it didn'twork...

What good looking Lionheads!

I am so sorry you weren't able to go! What a dissapointment, glad to hear you will still be able to get your rabbits, though.

I've met Dawn Guth- I've delivered some fuzzy lops to her back in '01.She was really sweet, what a nice thing she is doing for theArmstrongs.

It's neat to see the development of this breed. A friend of mine hastwo lionheads and her first litter in the nestbox. It's neat watchingthem develop and change almost daily.

I just got back from Columbus. First let me braga little bit. My José took 9th place out of 29 Sr. Tort Bucks. That's areally good placing considering the quality of the competion he wasagainst. Peg, what can I say. You missed a totally fun Nationals. Manyfolks were asking about you.

It was way cool to get to meet some of the well known lionhead breedersyou only hear and read about in person. Dawn Guth had some awesomerabbit there and was well deserving in her big double win. It was alsofun getting to meet Arden Wetzel and the Armstrongs, and the otherpioneers of the breed. At the banquet Saturday night, Arden waspresented with a large framed painting of a lionhead and got a standingovation for the efforts he is putting in to get the torts recognized asa real breed. Talk about an emotional moment! And you have to give DawnGuth credit for giving a rabbit that won Best In Show back to theArmstrongs for their breeding program. Also at the Banquet, Missy Kellyhad a great Idea to start a new club for Pennsylvania lionhead breederscalled the Keystone Lionhead Club. The goal will be to have a lionheadspecialty show at one of the State College shows. She will be startinga Yahoo message board for the group, so any lionhead afficianados in PAsearch the Yahoo groups for Keystone Lionhead later this week and joinus.

I did manage to come home with no additional rabbits, which is a majoraccomplisment since there were some seriously cute otter NetherlandDwarfs that were calling my name. I wish they would stop that!;) I didtake tons of photos that I will eventually post by Wednesday orThursday.

mambo101 wrote:
Ijust got back from Columbus. First let me brag a little bit. My Josétook 9th place out of 29 Sr. Tort Bucks. That's a really good placingconsidering the quality of the competion he was against.

AWESOME! Most breeders would give their eye teeth to placein the top ten ~ especially for torts ~ and especially as seniors. Youshould be VERY PROUD.

Peg, what can I say. You missed a totally fun Nationals. Many folks were asking about you.

Thanks. I really do feel bad we missed it. Starting thisnext paycheck (Fri) I'm setting aside $20-$25 per payday just to beable to rent a van next year. I will NOT miss it if I can helpit.

It was way cool to get to meet some of the well known lionhead breeders you only hear and read about in person.

This is so true. Folks - if you're wanting a lionhead andyou're anywhere on the East coast - Lionhead Nationals is the time toget to see all sorts of lionheads and buy one (especially if you'relooking for show quality).

Dawn Guth had some awesome rabbit there and was well deserving in her big double win.

What many people don't realize is that Dawn had a fire inher rabbitry something like 2 years ago and lost a large portion of herherd....so she has been rebuilding her herd. To see her take a win -especially a double win - like this - is really a wonderful thing.

Every breeder I've talked to on the phone has said her rabbits deservedthe win. By the way - for those wondering - Dawn brought 95 rabbits toOhio....some of them were fuzzies and in the fuzzy lop show - but alarge portion of them were lionheads.

It was also fun getting to meet Arden Wetzel and the Armstrongs, and the other pioneers of the breed.

Just for those who might not know - Arden Wetzel holds thefirst "Certificate of Development" and has been working towards gettingthe breed passed. If torts fail again this year - that responsibilitywill fall to Gail Gibbons of Cimmaron Rabbits.

The Armstrongs have only been breeding a couple of years and aren't"pioneers" - but they have managed to produce many beautiful rabbits.Their doe took BOB at the ARBA National Convention this fall.Unfortunately, she perished in the fire they had in December where theylost ALL of their animals.

At the banquet Saturday night, Arden was presented with a large framedpainting of a lionhead and got a standing ovation for the efforts he isputting in to get the torts recognized as a real breed. Talk about anemotional moment!

Do you know if anyone took photos of this? I hope so - I'd love to see it on the lionhead website.

And you have to give Dawn Guth credit for giving a rabbitthat won Best In Show back to the Armstrongs for their breedingprogram.

That is awesome of her to do that. She had actuallycommited that rabbit TO the Armstrongs before Nationals. The rabbit wasborn at approx. the same time as the fire at the Armstrong'srabbitry....so it sort of has special meaning for folks.

Also at the Banquet, Missy Kelly had a great Idea to start a new clubfor Pennsylvania lionhead breeders called the Keystone Lionhead Club.The goal will be to have a lionhead specialty show at one of the StateCollege shows. She will be starting a Yahoo message board for thegroup, so any lionhead afficianados in PA search the Yahoo groups forKeystone Lionhead later this week and join us.

That is a great idea. I wish that there were enough of ushere in Texas to start a specialty club. I hope it goes well. My friendLisa is in Pennsylvania so I am sure she will be a part of that.

I did manage to come home with no additional rabbits, which is a majoraccomplisment since there were some seriously cute otter NetherlandDwarfs that were calling my name. I wish they would stop that!

Oh man...otters. I just love otters. But NetherlandDwarfs? Hmm...I love my Tio ~ but I don't think I can get away from mylionheads.

Congrats on not bringing another one home....I think. :shock:

;) I did take tons of photos that I will eventually post by Wednesday or Thursday.

We have to wait THAT long? WAAAH!!! No fair.

Oh well - at least I'll be out of town on Mon/Tues (Lord Willing) to pick up my rabbits from Amarillo.

Lisa told me today on the phone that it is a good thing I'm a friend ~as she seriously would have considered keeping some of my rabbits if Iwasn't. (I knew she was joking).

Dan - did you happen to see any of my rabbits at all? I'm not sure ifthey were cooped at the show once Kelly got there or if Lisa ran themright back to the hotel.

You might remember them if you saw at least one of them - 'cause he's CHOCOLATE!

Peg

Gee Peg, I really appreciate your responses tomy comments. It's almost as if you were there in spirit. I did not seeany of your rabbits there. While it is possible they may have beencooped, with so many rabbits there, I honestly didn't notice. I didnotice a few empty coops with your name on them Friday night, but onSaturday I was paying more attention to the judging table and takingphotos of the lionheads and other breeds. Who knows, maybe I'll have atleast some of the photos up tomorrow. It's just very time consuming toupload them and resize them for the forum. Dawn Guth did take numerousphotos at the banquet and I'm sure she got one of Arden's emotionalmoment. I almost shed a tear myself. Arden is just a normal guy who hastaken on a big responsibility to help get this breed recognized and theencouragement he got at the banquet I believe will go a long waytowards his success.

Here's a cool story for you. A 30 year old guy from Las Vegas flew tothe Nationals just to buy a breeding pair. I believe he bought a buckfrom Cimmaron and a doe from Judi Amon(Peace Lane) or visa versa. WhileI was standing around him listening to him talk about how excited hewas to start breeding lionheads, a young girl (also a lionhead breeder,but sorry I forgot her name) who said she was from Texas told him shewas going to be moving to Las Vegas after her husband gets out of themilitary. So what are the odds there will be 2 lionhead breeders in LasVegas of all places.

Another memory: So what do a bunch of lionhead people talk about aroundthe banquet table? Unfortunately, the conversation started off on thediscussion of some the breeders experience with meat rabbits. While Ido understand that is part of how some rabbitry's make money, I did mybest to change THAT subject. After discussion about the new PA breedclub, the conversation did turn to genetics relating to lionheads. Thatwas most interesting. While genetics as a whole still goes way over myhead, it was interesting to hear some of the colors that can be bredtogether and what the results could be.

I'm sure I'll probably have a few more stories after I go through the photos and get my mind jogged around.

Dan

Seems like the building was filled with happythoughts this weekend! Columbus is about a hour and 45 min drive so Iwent over without rabbits.Thegoal was to go overand socialize which was able to happen for about an hourbeforeand hour after writing all day. Paperwork isalways a mess with the shows that take care of the remark cards so thatgave our judge time to sit which he needed. You've gotta have resepectfor someone whose standing on their feet all day after just having achemo treatment.:)

The goal was to pop over to the Loinheads but that didn't happen tillBest In Show time on Sunday. Youth Best 4 went to a Netherland Dwarf,Youth Best 6 & BIS to a New Zealand. Open Best 4 & BISto a Flordia White and Open Best 6 to a New Zealand.

Can't wait to see photos!

Amanda

I wasn't showing rabbits, but I wasthere. It was total rabbit overload. I think therewere about 12,000 rabbits there. Me and my two friends had togreet each and every one. We really enjoyed watching thejudging; especially the judges that talk while they arejudging. I really like to hear why they choose one rabbitover another.

I won some very cool prizes in a raffle. For $5 worth oftickets, I won a t-shirt with "Mini-Rex The People's Choice" and threemini-rex rabbits embroidered on it (well worth the $5 alone), a set ofthree bunny figurines (one large and 2 babies), a clear glass bunnyvotive holder with votive, and a bunny trinket box. Not a badhaul.

I had a wonderful time with my Michigan bunny friends. I wishI could have tracked down a few RO people and introduced myself.

An added bonus was an Alpaca show they were having at the sametime. We stopped in and wandered around looking at Alpacasand watching the judging. They are sooooooo cute!

What a wonderful weekend!

Latest posts

Back