Lionhead dwarf gets depression?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinibunny

Reaction score
Alright i thought i would ask here! I went to a petshop yesterday and they sell the cutest dwarf lionhead rabbits!! The girl was very forceful about how Lionhead rabbits will get very depressed if they dont have another bunny living with them is this true? I can only get one rabbit because my husband doesnt want two running around. The store seems to only sell lionhead dwarfs and thats exatually what i want. I dont want to make the bunny depressed though if he doesnt have a compainan but my lop in the US was fine without another bun all he had was his stuffed animals he would run around with.

Just wanted some advice before i adopt a cutie :)! Also here is the cutie i saw at the petstore wish i could of got him but right now waiting for a residence permit which should be here in a couple of weeks.
10154977_1426563410928075_1992545234_n.jpg

The sales person does not seem to be knowledgeable about rabbits. Unaltered mature rabbits should NOT be housed together; they should always be housed individually. If rabbits are spayed/neutered, then you may consider bonding them to another rabbit.

:yeahthat:
When I bought my first two rabbits, they started to fight a week after I got them because they were at the age when they were starting to reach sexual maturity. Baby rabbits will usually get along, but once the hormones kick in, they get territorial and may not get along with each other. I wish the pet store I got them from would have told me this could happen, but they may not even have known enough about rabbits to tell me this. If you only want one, don't listen to the people at that pet store. I think they are being irresponsible. Get one rabbit if that's what you want, give him/her lots of love and attention, and he/she will be fine. Take advantage of all the knowledgeable people on this forum to ask any questions about rabbit care that you may have.

I have a lionhead and she is the only bunny and she seems very happy to me:)
She gets to hang out with our family a lot, has unlimited access to living room and kitchen when we are at home and I play with and handle her a lot. As long as you provide plenty of access outside the cage and interact with them a lot, I think they can be perfectly happy without other rabbits.

first thing first. lionheads are not called "lionhead dwarfs"
In the store in Austria they where lionhead dwarfs i wasnt saying the breed was mainly called that but in Austria they refer them to that name.

I have a lionhead and she is the only bunny and she seems very happy to me:)
She gets to hang out with our family a lot, has unlimited access to living room and kitchen when we are at home and I play with and handle her a lot. As long as you provide plenty of access outside the cage and interact with them a lot, I think they can be perfectly happy without other rabbits.

Thanks for repliying this made me relieved! Iv had a rabbit before for 5 years a holand lop but i dont know everything about bunnies yet im happy to hear he will be fine by himself!

Store and shelter people are probably one of the greatest sources of misinformation. He should be fine as a solitary and not all bunnies can be bonded with another anyways. I wouldn't trust them to give you the correct sex either. That's how my Nick became Nik-Nik--he was really a she.

They're probably just saying that to make more money, not just on the rabbit, but on food, etc.

Store and shelter people are probably one of the greatest sources of misinformation. He should be fine as a solitary and not all bunnies can be bonded with another anyways. I wouldn't trust them to give you the correct sex either. That's how my Nick became Nik-Nik--he was really a she.

Very true i dont know how much they work over here in Austria since they have diffrent laws and such but could be the same worldwide. The bunnys in the petshops over here have to be pre nutered so i hope i dont have to worry about that ether x.x im not sure about the females though i didnt check just know the males where nutered.

Thanks for the comment!

They're probably just saying that to make more money, not just on the rabbit, but on food, etc.

I never thought of that!!! im too trusting towards the people who live here because they are all super nice! Maybe they get comission on sales? I was directed to a certain associate x.x....im pretty sure she said that for more sales she claimed she owned bunnies before too.

I have a lionhead and a polish who live separately on opposite ends of the house. Seffie is quite content by herself on her side of the house. She has a stuffed bear and gets about 3 hours of run time a day. Seffie loves her cage and is quite comfy being the only bunny on this side of the house. She and Mason don't usually even see each other thru the baby gate. Besides Seffie is very timid and Mason is overly exuberant boy. Plus no babies here!

I have a lionhead and a polish who live separately on opposite ends of the house. Seffie is quite content by herself on her side of the house. She has a stuffed bear and gets about 3 hours of run time a day. Seffie loves her cage and is quite comfy being the only bunny on this side of the house. She and Mason don't usually even see each other thru the baby gate. Besides Seffie is very timid and Mason is overly exuberant boy. Plus no babies here!

Thats good to know! I dont know all the personalities of the each and every rabbit so its good to know how they are. I just know how my lop was in the US thanks for posting btw ^^

Not a problem. Lionheads are usually very timid breed so take that into consideration as well. My daughters Polish is a mad bun. He runs around like crazy. Where Seffie takes her time to explore. They can be a bit jumpy and take awhile to get them used to you. My daughter told me she likes her Polish better as Seffie isn't overly lovey but she's a girl. And does what she wants. And remember every rabbit is different.

Latest posts

Back