Lionhead cross breed Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jil101ca

Reaction score
Could a lionhead cross bucknot have the mane but still carry the gene and create Lionhead looking kits? The reason I am asking is Chester is supposed to be a mini-lop mix but he doesn't look like it to me. He just looks like a little rabbit. I was watching and playing with Blackie's kits tonight and thought they look like baby Lionheads. They are getting fluffy and have kind of square looking heads with small ears. I'm going to see if I can get some decent pics of them tommorrow. Blackie hides them behind her whenever she sees the camera.

jil101ca wrote:
Could a lionhead cross bucknot have the mane but still carry the gene and create Lionhead looking kits? The reason I am asking is Chester is supposed to be a mini-lop mix but he doesn't look like it to me. He just looks like a little rabbit. I was watching and playing with Blackie's kits tonight and thought they look like baby Lionheads. They are getting fluffy and have kind of square looking heads with small ears. I'm going to see if I can get some decent pics of them tommorrow. Blackie hides them behind her whenever she sees the camera.
It is possible for a single-maned lionhead (buck or doe) to molt out the mane but still carry the gene.

However, the only way to tell for sure whether a rabbit is a lionhead (and especially a double mane vs. single mane) is in the first few days after birth. The rabbit's fur will not grow in at first in the spots where it is going to have a mane and it will look bald in those spots. This is usually on the head, the back of the neck and in the flank area.

A rabbit that is bald on the head but not in the flanks is usually a single mane....a double mane usually is bald in both spots.

By the time their eyes are open - both spots should have fur....

Here is an example of an extreme case where a rabbit did not get his mane fur in until he was older (its a long story and deals with recessive genes)...

As I said - this is an extreme case - but it shows you where you should see baldness...

I forgot about the bald spot, nope no bald spots. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what these kits are going to be like. I have not had kits look like these before and they sure are cute. I'll post a pic in a bit.

Back