Lionhead Bunny Questions!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camarie

Reaction score
Ok well I have a 6 month old Lionhead bunny and i have a couple of questions:

1. He has matting on near his private area, how do i take care of that?

2. How often does he need to be brushed?

3. Will he hair grow how longish? Will i ever need to get it cutt?

4. How much space for a cage does he need?

5. When can i nuetuer him?

6. How can i socialize him with Stormy and Salem...well right now just Salem cause he isnt nuetured yet?

7. How big will he get? At 6 months is he fully grown?

I think thats it. He is a very afectionate bunny he reminds me of the flemish in his personality he loves to lay on my lap and get pet and is great with being handled.

1. He has matting on near his private area, how do i take care of that?

How old is he? If he is still a baby, this is pretty common in younger breeds since they have long, soft fur around their tail area when they're young. As they age, the guard hairs come in. If he's a mature rabbit, this matting is not normal and he may need more fiber in his diet.

You can clip the mats out. Clip as closely to the skin as you can without cutting it, of course. If the mat is the whole way down, cut what you can out and then wait for the fur to grow out more to clip the rest.

2. How often does he need to be brushed?

Most rabbits don't really need to be. You can run a brush through him once a week or so if you want to. But he shouldn't *need* brushing once he gets his adult coat.

3. Will he hair grow how longish? Will i ever need to get it cutt?

No, it will not need to be cut.

4. How much space for a cage does he need?

A 3-4 lb. Lionhead should have at least a 24"x24" cage, IMO- enough room to stand up, lay down, and move around.

5. When can i nuetuer him?

Most vets will neuter sometime around 6 months of age. Sometimes sooner or later, depending on the breed.

6. How can i socialize him with Stormy and Salem...well right now just Salem cause he isnt nuetured yet?

I'd wait until he is neutered before bonding.

7. How big will he get? At 6 months is he fully grown?

Yes, at 6 months a Lionhead will reach their full size, although they may fill out a bit more with age. Kind of like...by college, most kids reach their full height, but they continue to fill out as they get older.:p

Lionheads are pretty varied since they're still technically a mixed breed...they can be anywhere from 2 lbs. to closer to 5 or 6. I think the working standard calls for them to be around 2-3.5 lbs., or somewhere in there.

Ok so the coat he has right now isnt his adult coat? i posted a pic for reference. When will he get his adult coat? And i am looking into getting him nuetuered within this month since he has dropped already. I just have to wait to get the money together and the vet to have a opening.

edit- and if the cage needs to be 24 by 24 thats good the cage i have him in now is a little bigger.

if they are bad mats I use a seam ripper and go close to the skin and pull away so it separates the mats and then can comb them out or if super matted I cut them out but be very careful so you don't cut the skin which is so each to do with bad mats because you can't tell where the skin is sometimes. If you have an electric hair clipper that will work too.

What color is gizmo? I was looking and think maybe shaded lionhead?

Latest posts

Back