Lion Head doe Due ...How Soon????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCWelch

Reaction score
Help! I have a Lion Head doe that came to me 2 weeks ago as a rescue, I believe she is about 8 months to 1 year old. The people who owned he said they were pretty sure she is bred. She had been living constantly with her brother.
When I received her she was all sweet and nice and when palpated I felt nothing, 2 days ago I still felt nothing. Today she is being a brat and nipping and I can palpate 3 kits about quarter size.
I am hoping someone can give me an idea of how soon she might be due. I have never had rabbits this small so I have no clue. The bigger bunnies this would be their behavior about a week out.

Rabbits gestation period is 30 to 31 days. So if she is bred she'll start making her nest 2 or 3 days before she delivers. Some son't build their nest untill after the babies are born. You'll just have to wait and see. :) Good luck!

I know 30-31 days and about the nesting, I raise larger breed rabbits very successfully. The problem is this one was bred when I got her and those that had her did not know when she bred. She lost a litter due to freezing in December or January, they couldn't remember when. She is not in the best condition but that is changing with proper food and care. She and her brother were surviving on lettuce, kitchen scraps and cracked corn. Now she is getting good quality feed and hay and she is filling back out nicely and her fur is coming back nicely as well. Her brother was to far gone to save:cry1:at least he knew human kindness before we had to put him down.

To be honest with you - every rabbit is so individual. I can't palpate well so I can't tell you as far as the sizes of the babies go...all I can say is probably within the next 2 weeks?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

I have already given her a nesting area and material, problem is she prefers to soil it. Yesterday she was acting like she was trying to nest but today she had a big mess again. I am hoping she kindles soon, she is becoming a huge grouch, She is gonna be a protective momma.

I would give it at least 30 to 35 days to see if she is going to have any babies. Sweetie and Prince bred once and I thought that Sweetie was pregnant, I gave it 35 days to see if she was going to have them but she didn't so I knew that she wasn't pregnant. I would have kept one of the babies if she did have them. But now she is fixed so I don't have to worry about her and Prince breeding. Prince is also fixed.

I think she is getting very close, today she won't let me pick her up and she growled at me. Both things she has never done in the past. Usually she loves to be held.
Even though I do not plan on keeping her I have been calling her Sweetie so she at least thinks that she has a name.

Pics will be coming soon!! I got my answer she had 3 kits yesterday. 2 are pink/white skin 1 is black. She is black.

04022011307-1.jpg

Cannot wait to see what colors they end up!!

They are 5 days old today and starting to show their color...someone want to tell me what color the 'white skinned" ones will be? Their fur color is red on top of their head and back and kind of a light cream color everywhere else????Will post a photo in a few days when they get more fur.

No, they are not mixed. Her brother is actually the buck that bred her. Here is her picture unfortunately I did not get a picture of her brother which is for the best, he looked horrible. He was missing half of his hair due to malnutrition.He had to be put down he was so bad.

Here she is before she gave birth, 2 and a half weeks of proper food and lots of love and attention made a huge difference in her appearance very fast.

03302011289-1-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back