Linolium for cage bottoms?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi! I haven't seen you on for a while. How are your darling buns doing?

It's not hard at all, as long as you don't mind there not being edgesto hold any mess in. If you want you can make edges withwood. I didn't bother and didn't have too much of a problem.Just make sure you choose one with lots of texture and that's not shinyso that it's not too slippery for furry bunny feet.

That shouldn't be too hard - just stick thelinoleum down to a piece of wood or something else to keep it steady -should be good. One thing is to make sure there are no looseareas that your bunny can tear up or eat.

Make sure it's not linoleum TILES. Iput that as Flower's floor when we first made her cage, and she startedpulling up the corners and eating the linoleum.:shock: We then pulled it out and flipped the pegboard we'dput the linoleum on...MUCH BETTER! :)

Bottom line: I recommend pegboard over just about anything else any day of the week.

(Note: We have faux hardwood floors...which means "nearlyindestructable". Combined with the fact that Flower doesn'thave any urine "accidents" outside the litterbox, it makes thesituation condusive to having the pegboard flooring. If youdon't have the same setup (non-accident prone bun), I would recommendputting something underneath.)

Hugs!

Rosie & the Herd :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

I've copied and pasted this from one of my responses in the NIC photo philes thread.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15348&forum_id=21

I made a very elaborate bottom. I built a ply wood box thatfits just on the inside of the grids, I then glued lino to the entireinside of the box (bottom and all four sides) and sealed the jointswith calking.

I found some metal stripping used for dry walling that is bent to cover a corner and lined the top edge of the lino with it.

I love it, I haven't had problem yet. The buns areunable to chew the lino because it's such a flat surface (they've triedand failed miserably), they also can't get to the calking because it'sonly in the joints. Wipes up beautifully, and totally bunnysafe!

Here's a few pictures in case I totally confused you...
Jan172007+002.jpg

But, that was a rather long and elaborate process...

--Dawn

I have my NIC cage just sitting on top of thatplastic carpet protector stuff. It was cheap at Home Depot and its easyto clean. I just got a HUGE sheet of it so it covers the carpet andthere are no edges inside the grids to be chewed. The bottom that isn'tlitterbox or bed just gets covered with hay anyway so the little feetdon't slip around too much. No problems yet.

I have linoleum. I just got a remnant at Lowe's,cut it just a couple of inches larger than the cage and sat the cage ontop of it.

NewCage.jpg

Linoleum is what I use, but like iluvmybunmentioned, make sure the sheet of linoleum is larger than the actualcage. Believe me, I learned that lesson the hard way:shock:

Miss Vega is great with her litterbox. We usedthe stick on floor tiles stuck to a piece of wood as the bottom of herNIC cage. Works great, looks awesome (at least I think so, LOL) andcleans up easily when she spills her water. We have outdoor carpet onit so she doesn't slide on it.

Hi Naturestee! Sorry it's been so long, butwe're doing pretty good! Dusty and his girlfriend Narnia (named beforethe movie ;) are doing pretty good. We have a new addition to thefamilly ..A pigeon I found, raised, and named "Target" because he fellfrom a nest located on a Target retail store's sign). The bunnies wouldlove a NIC condo, but I am also thinking of planning a NIC birdcagebecause his current cage is too small for him to fly and a NIC cagewould cost less than a parrot cage. Maybe I could set the whole thingin a drawer filled with sand or bird litter for him :D
I'll have to post some photos of everyone soon. How are YOU doing?

naturestee wrote:
Hi! I haven'tseen you on for a while. How are your darling buns doing?

It's not hard at all, as long as you don't mind there not being edgesto hold any mess in. If you want you can make edges withwood. I didn't bother and didn't have too much of a problem.Just make sure you choose one with lots of texture and that's not shinyso that it's not too slippery for furry bunny feet.

Honeypot: You make a good point! Dusty andNarnia ate almost a whole phone book this morning! They'd see looselinolium as a chew snack fore sure.

Maherwoman: Good idea! It might work better for other peoples bunniesmore so than mine though, because Narnia scatters droppings here andthere which would probably get stuck in the pegboard holes (this shouldstop after she's spayed, right?) I like how the holes offer extra grip.(Thanks for this input!) If I use linolium, I'll make sure it's asingle cut sheet with the edges hidden or tucked down.

Aurora369: Wow, you did a beautiful job on their cage!

Ilovemybun: Thanks for sharing!

Binkies: Are those NIC pannels you're using? It looks like the spacingbetween the bars are smaller than traditional pannels. The cage islovely.

Latest posts

Back