Lily has problems keeping her bottom clean

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

existenziell

Reaction score
Hello all. I have another bunny problem.

Lily seems to be having lots of trouble keeping her bottom clean. It's only on one side that she seems to be affected. I have been trying to treat the problem at home, thinking that I could make it go away with a good bath (I use Pawganics shampoo and it seems to work pretty well without any side effects). It works briefly, but then her problem just comes back. I am worried about urine scald, so I bathe her maybe every 10-15 days. It has been going on for about a month, and I am wondering if there's just something I'm missing here or if I'm going to have to continue to bathe her indefinitely.

The problem is that her butt is plagued with urine. No feces, just urine. The hair seems to get kind of crusty (not flaky like dry skin) and then she gets some mats that I have to cut off. I examined the skin closely and it looks normal.

Other information that may be useful:
- She is a Holland Lop.
- She is spayed.
- She weighs about 4.5 pounds.
- She does use a litter box consistently, which has a grate over it so she isn't sitting in her urine.
- Her cage is cleaned and wiped down every 4 days.
- Her last vet visit was in July.
- She is about 9 months old.
- Prior to 6 weeks ago, her grooming habits were normal.

What could be wrong with her?

Link to Picture

Not sure if mine is going through the same, I deleted the pic of my phone but it is on my profile. I just took him to the vet and he had a little bit of sludge in his urine causing him to dribble. Does the urine appear to have a build up of any sort? Is the urine a different color? It may also be a uti. Is she having any other problems that you have noticed?
The vet said for UTI look for excessive licking, urinating in small amounts around the cage, blood in urine( rabbits urine can be slightly red or orange to begin with).... Sitting in the litter box for long periods of time can be a sign of straining to urinate as some one told me on my topic about this.

I would take her to your vet if you can, it's better to be safe! :) hope I helped a little

Back