Lilly broke a nail :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah92lynn

Reaction score
My poor Lilly :( she was digging the hay out of her hay rack A LOT this afternoon so I let her out to get some energy out...she hopped out and sat in one spot cleaning her paw which I thought was weird so I get a closer look and it's bleeding :( I dont see how it could have happened other than from her digging through the bars of her cage.

Last time this happened she bit it off herself, so I'm wondering if I should wait a little while and see if she does or just clip it off? I feel soo bad for her...it's not bleeding anymore but I can tell its still hurting her :(

Well I just got a closer look at it and it's broken pretty far down...I don't know if I want to cut it..it's almost all the way down at the bottom of her nail :( And she starts to struggle every time I touch it..

do you have any styptic powder? it stops the bleeding and, I believe, has some pain relief in it - would be good to apply in general, or before and after clipping if you decide to clip it.

I don't think I do but I'll check. If not I'll probably go buy some just to give her a little bit of pain relief. Thanks for the tip, anything helps right now...I don't know if I'm gonna be able to clip it myself :/

Ihave also had this happen were it was broken all the way to the base and just like in my last post you should just cut the nail and treat it like we treated Gracies nail. It might not grow back though but if its left hanging then it could get stuck on something and break the knuckle

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
Ihave also had this happen were it was broken all the way to the base and just like in my last post you should just cut the nail and treat it like we treated Gracies nail. It might not grow back though but if its left hanging then it could get stuck on something and break the knuckle

:yeahthat:

Well it's not like I've been letting her out to play or anything. I'm not giving her a chance to snag it on something. But I'm probably gonna take her to the vet I can't do that to my poor girl..

Thanks for the help everyone

Well it's not like I've been letting her out to play or anything. I'm not giving her a chance to snag it on something. But I'm probably gonna take her to the vet tomorrow cause I can't do that to my poor girl..

Thanks for the help everyone

Woww darn iPhone made me think my reply didn't send :/ whoops!!

Latest posts

Back