Lilith's ear is cut (okiron's)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Can you guys help?

Okiron called me earlier, her internet is down, so she can't research this herself, and was asking what to do.

They awoke this morning to Lilith's ear having a clean slice (about an inch or two) through it lengthwise, thus making it in two pieces. They're not sure what happened, but she said that it doesn't look like a bite or animal scratch, so she's certain it wasn't a fight (not to mention, they would've heard a fight).

She said that it's not bleeding...that it's completely dry (the blood). They have an appt today to take her to the vet to get it checked out (in a couple hours), but in the meantime, anything they can do for her? Should they clean it? Or just leave it?

Thanks guys!

Rosie (and okiron)

P.S. She mentions that Lilith's in pain, because she won't let her touch it at all.

As long as the ear isn't bleeding and she'll be going to the vet soon, I would just try to keepthe rabbit quiet and distracted with some hay or a few treats so she doesn't fuss with her ear.

Pam

Internet is back up thank god. Thank you Pam, we have Lilith confined to her carrier till it's time to go to the doctors. Her favorite hiding spot is under the bed and we wouldn't want her to tear her ear more than she already did.

Oh good...glad to see your internet back up, Hun...and good thinking, about keeping her in a carrier until she's seen the vet.

I'm glad that it wasn't continually bleeding, and that she's doing pretty okay now, all considered...

Hugs to you both, Sweetie!:hug:

Rosie*

Ok, just came back from the vet. First of all....dkjgfsbghdsbhjsbchjs I hate that doctor!!!!! Of course we HAD to get the same stupid doctor. 30 minutes of spaying lecture.

Well, Lilith got prescribed some Baytril and she's going into surgery to try to reconstruct it tomorrow morning. If it doesn't heal properly after that, we're gonna just cut the loose chunk off.

After thinking about it we are sure she got caught on a loose piece of wood or nail when she was under the box spring. Errik is now closing that part off so it wont happen again to anyone.

The doctor tried to force us to spay her when she's in surgery tomorrow. We made it sure to everyone that I do NOT want her spayed during the surgery. It'll be another doctor tomorrow who will be doing the surgery and I will repeat my request that she not be spayed. If she is...I can guarentee that there will be a lawsuit in our hands.

Here is Lilith's ear for now. She doesn't seem to care about it, she lets us handle it as needed. He says its ok to put Neosporin on it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/okiron/P1010695.jpg

My poor baby girl!!!!

I hope she gets all better!

Are you hoping to breed her later? or just don't want them doing the spay yet?

Keep us posted!

Bo - No we do not plan on breeding her. I have talked to a couple trustworthy people on this forum and I have decided not to get her spayed until she's about 8 months old. Even if I was to get her spayed asap, I wouldn't get it done at that office. I hate the vet and they're one of the most expensive vets around here for rabbit speuters. I rather pay the same amount of money for a better vet if that makes sense.

Completely - I was just curious. I think waiting on the does is best from what I know anyhow isn't it (til they are around 8 to 9 mos old)...... like they reach maturity later and bigger bunnies are even later? is that right?

I thought maybe you'd decided to breed her and have a bunch of little flemmies hopping around the place..... taking over the roomies' territory...... hehehehe

It's been debated about if it helps or stuns their growth. I trust the judgement of the people I talked to and I personally do believe it helps if I wait a bit. Especially because she's such a big bunny and going to be bigger still.

Haha if I'm going to be increasing my bunnies, I want to have full control of it! Any other buns I have will all probably be rescues, my breeder experience was less than desired and honestly, I don't think I wanna go through all this growing up and puberty stage again. A nice grown already speutered bun is what's next on my list.

I forgot to mention, she's turning 3 months old in 2 days and she is now 7lbs!

Awwww... I get all warm and fuzzy feeling inside when ever anyone says baby flemies! :bunnyheart

That's strange though, I wonder how she manged to cut her ear open? Do you think that mabey one of the springs under the bed might have poke out and she caught her ear on that? You'll want to find out what it was though, so this doesn't happen again.

Wow! That doctor sounds like trouble! He should just be able to drop it at no and stop nagging you about it! I thinks it's a good idea that you're waitingto spay her just incase.

Poor little bunny girl! Sounds like alot to go through, at least she doesn't seemt to be in pain. Hope she gets better soon!

-TK :)

Aww, Lilith's poor, sweet, glorious ear! Poor little baby. I hope they get her all fixed up tomorrow and it heals well and doesn't cause her any pain! Does she still have super big ears for a flemish? I seem to recall she had the biggest ears of her litter :biggrin2:

TK - Yeah we suspect something like that. Errik boarded everything up with the leftover pegboard we had so no one's allowed under the bed. Lilith is Errik's baby and he's so angry it happened.

Shiloh - Hehe she actually grew into her ears quite a bit. Still humongous though. I love it. She gets helicopter ears once in a while and I just gush at cuteness overload.

I think I would want to wait also for a big girl like that.

You know - Tony hasn't had hormonal issues yet - he's 8 mos - I wonder if he's going to have any - he's had his male parts for a long time now!

I hope things go well for Lilith and her ear.

Tell Erikk I need my house bunny proofed also!

I can't believe the things they find to get into or get hurt on!

Dr. Levine's clinic doesn't accept Care Credit and right now, I have no other means of paying for medical bills :( If we had the money Dr. Levine would've been our first spot.

Errik just left with Lilith's to the vets. I've been up all night from the stress from everything and it was a great time to let Errik have a test run on animal care 101 : A trip to the vet all by himself. Nothing complicated, drop Lilith off and get a price estimate. We shall see how he does.

I'm supposed to pick her up at 3...I'll be taking the bus so I should be home a little after 5. For now we wait :?

Back