Likelihood of illness/trouble

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curiouscarrot

Reaction score
I now understand that rabbits aren't a hardy type of pet like a dog, but how likely is it that a particular rabbit/rabbits will have issues? I read about stasis and gastric upsets and this that and the other, and it makes me anxious that I'll go out and they'll be sick or dead..... Are these problems that are to be expected and will happen at some stage, or is it just something that may happen but isn't a likelihood? Do people have bunnies who are just healthy and nothing happens to? Am I getting a distorted view from reading on the internet that something horrible will happen sooner or later? I've suggested to somebody else on here who is anxious that they should not worry, but I'm trying to suss out how much "legitimate anxiety" is warranted.

I'm looking to have my girl neutered and getting prices from different vets. The latest one warned me that she could die from anaesthetic and seemed to imply that neutering wasn't that good an idea. Previously, I'd read that females are better off done because they won't get cancer and "stuff", and now I'm thinking she might not make it through the procedure..... Maybe she's all right as she is, her "hubby"'s fixed so there won't be bunny babies.

aargh.

Surgery on rabbits is higher risk than on most other pets because rabbits are more sensitive to anesthetic. That's why its important to use a vet who knows/treats rabbits. Even then, sometimes bad things happen. Many pet owners have the surgery and everything is fine.

I've wondered why pet rabbits seem to have more issues...could it have anything to do with them being altered? :dunno: Maybe it's because most pet buns are mixed breed rather than purebred...maybe part of it is diet? I really don't know. It would be neat if someone would do a study on it though. None of ours are altered and rarely have gastric issues...so idk.

Last edited:
I think it just has to do with the particular bun, and how well they are kept and cared for. My buns have only ever had trouble one time, and that was only for a day (still unknown what exactly it was). It also may have something to do with what they are exposed to. Being indoor or outdoor rabbits, and being exposed to plants, animals, and other things that might harm them externally or internally.

Rabbits are a prey animal, so they evolved as a species to survive by having lots of babies very early because they don't expect to live long in the wild. This might explain why rabbits never developed long-term hardiness. Spaying a female IS a good idea, because of the risk of uterine cancer in older females, as I'm sure you know. A vet that doesn't think so is probably a vet that uses cat/dog anaesthetic on rabbits and so had most of his rabbit patients die. I'd search for a more rabbit-savvy vet if I were you. :)

Here's a link to help you find one: http://rabbit.org/faq-how-to-find-a-good-rabbit-vet/

I've wondered why pet rabbits seem to have more issues...could it have anything to do with them being altered? :dunno: Maybe it's because most pet buns are mixed breed rather than purebred...maybe part of it is diet? I really don't know. It would be neat if someone would do a study on it though. None of ours are altered and rarely have gastric issues...so idk.

This is something I've wondered about too, we've had the same experience as you have. My guess is that it's largely genetic. Most people cull hard for health and longevity in their rabbits, but "accidental" or pet litters aren't really selected for in that way.

Purebred isn't 100% insurance against problems. But it does does mean the rabbit comes from rabbits that, in most cases, were chosen for those things.

A vet that doesn't think so is probably a vet that uses cat/dog anaesthetic on rabbits and so had most of his rabbit patients die. I'd search for a more rabbit-savvy vet if I were you. :)http://rabbit.org/faq-how-to-find-a-good-rabbit-vet/
It wasn't a vet, just the receptionist. I'm sure that she was only warning of the increased risk to rabbits over "regular" pets, she wasn't semaphoring any particular problem with that practice. It's just something that added to my feeling that these pets are so fragile, together with all the things I've been reading online.

Back