Lights Over Cage To Help Day/Night Cycle?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GinChinSing

Reaction score
My house is really dark... almost cave-like. Do you think the rabbits would benefit from having lights above their cage? Seeing as I have turtles, I do have "hood" lights and I change out the UVB bulbs every three months. The bulbs are still great for light sources, just not necessarily UVB output. I hate to throw out the bulbs until they completely die on me so I have this huge stock of UVBs. I figure if they are on a timer, then the rabbits will get a better day/night cycle. Has anyone tried this?

Never tried it.

I have a salt water tank right next to my buns. I have the tank on a timer too for the *sun up/ sun down effect* the rabbits like it I think? its like a little night light for them...

I have never tried it. I would watch to make sure they don't put off too much heat and overheat bunny.

I would be concerned with no light though......? Bunnies need some source of natural light for their health. Do you have any windows that your bunny could have access to sunlight (not direct) even if it is just a little?

The room my buns are in is fairly dark, plus with the roof of their cage being solid because of the cats, I have a lamp next to their cage that I turn kn in the morning and off before I go to bed. It's not exact, but it gives them at least a little structure.

I'll have to take a picture without flash tomorrow. It's basically always dusk-like in that room despite two windows. The room faces North and West, so a little sun comes in during the afternoon through the tree.

The lights don't get too hot, maybe they raise the temperature a degree or two. I was planning on having them about two feet above the cage, which is two grids high on the main level and an additional two grids high on the second level.

@Nancy, I'll add it to the list of questions to ask my vet.

Latest posts

Back