Lifting?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

introoder

Reaction score
So, the two rabbits I can home with a few days ago have been spending quality time with my herd buck. Lily took easily, many-a-time. For only being bred once, early in her career, I was happy to see that.

69, on the other hand... When I first emailed the breeder, I was told she wouldn't lift for any of her bucks. It's the same for mine. He got her once, I think, with the assisstance of me, and now he's chilling in his cage with her.

He's being a mean, mean rabbit to her. Even though she won't lift, he tries and tries, and ends up pulling her fur out. I feel bad, kinda.

Any tips on getting her to lift, or should I try to assist once more?

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.

I had a champagne doe that didn't lift for a buck once but gave me a few litters. She was stubborn and would never lift, and so I utilized the tickle the tail method, followed by a second breeding 7-8 hours later. Worked every time.

The second breeding 7-8 hours lateris pointless according to recent studies published in Domestic Rabbits. (1 hour later is optimal)

I've used every trick in the book. May appear to work once or twice, but never with any consistency.

XD I just need to get a decent doe out of her, and then she's getting replaced. I never planned to have her around long. She's too old, too many issues, and doesn't look nice, well, period. If I could get her to throw a baby with her ears, and the buck's color, I'd be more than happy. (They're both sable points, but she's the really ugly smutty, dark kind. He's the pretty show kind. =D)

I'm not a breeder... but wouldn't it make more sense to breed your nice male to an equally nice female? Not one with a few good points in conformation and hoping you get her ears and the males color? What happens if the other babies turn out looking just like mom? I hope she finds a good home to retire in like she deserves.

Oh, she will. If she doesn't stay here as a pet. She's kinda, mean though. It makes sense, she came from a breeder who's not so nice.

Or a 4H home, with one of my buddies.

To the breeding comment: She's a brood doe. She's not meant for showing, so no. She's not that great. I mean, she has decent type, uber nice ears, and a decent top line, but the incorrect coloring and the constant (molt?) weird back fur would either DQ, or make her place very low in shows. Meaning, while she's not worth-while to show, she might very well through very nice babies. I just looked at her pedigree. I know all the grandparents, and I know the father. The mother was probably a brood (I've never seen her at shows, even though she has two legs. Probably from her Junior...hood.).

Anywho! The big lesson is: Just because the doe isn't the best, doesn't mean you can't get good babies from her. In fact, that tends to be the point, or else no one would keep brood quality animals, and rabbitries would be so small that all the animals would be so far inbred that they'd all be really... Well, you know.

As far as the babies, if they end up mom's color, they either hang around to be brood animals, or they get given/sold to 4H members and other rabbitries. Just like everyone else does with the animals they can't use/don't have room for. Not to mention, netherlands only get a couple kits per litter. It's not like flemishes that have 10-14, so I've heard.

ANYWHO. JEEZ. Aiko's rambling. XD

If she isnt lifting then she could be carrying to much fat round her ovaries. nethies are extremely common for this. My advice would be cut her food out for 2 weeks and just feed unlimited hay then put her back with the male it works every time ;)

Latest posts

Back