Lifting Skiddish Bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsshaer

Franki
Reaction score
Had our year old (spayed) adopted rabbit for a few weeks now (2-3). Loves being pet and hand fed, tolerates brushing. Loves to sit on my lap and cuddle, and likes to bother the cats.

However she freaks out every time she is lifted. I cannot get a hold of her correctly. I never move her very far (literally just out of the cage and onto the floor or my lap or carrier). Longer distances I put her onto a thick folded towel and gently but securely burrito her in it. She is completely fine once set back down--but in the air she kicks and squirms. I am worried she is going to hurt herself because of my lack of experience with rabbits. I know HOW I SHOULD be holding her, but she will have none of it. I usually pick her up by her front paws and stomach area--it's the best I can do without being too forceful with her. I pick her up at LEAST twice a day. Should I just keep building trust with her? Any tips? Thanks!

:rabbithop

try to cover her eyes when picking her up. This will normally calm mine when they try to jump forward out of my grasp when I go to pick them up.

I will try that. She calms down when I cover her eyes with the towel, so I should try that next time!

I have some rabbits that have never got used to being picked up they are just too nervouse if I want to transport these ones I usher them into their cat carrier to transport them to the garden etc. I find its not worth upsetting them.

Is it necessary to lift her out of her cage? Can she not just hop out on her own? Ideally, when she is out for her exercise, she should have easy access back to her cage if she so desires. This is a good idea so that she has a 'safe' place to go if she wants to and so that she can get to her litter box as well.

Is it necessary to lift her out of her cage? Can she not just hop out on her own? Ideally, when she is out for her exercise, she should have easy access back to her cage if she so desires. This is a good idea so that she has a 'safe' place to go if she wants to and so that she can get to her litter box as well.

I leave her cage door open most of the day when I am in the same room as it. She comes in and our as she pleases and has been spending more and more time out. But when I want to give her cage a good cleaning or want to have a look at her rear (adjusting her diet) she needs to be lifted out of there. She is getting better, though. It's easier to lift her right from the cage as opposed to the whole room as I do not want to scare her since she can run from me--outside cage time is fun time, not scared time. Hahahah. That being said, she is affectionate and likes to cuddle on my lap--completely content and happy once on the lap or chest, but I don't want to lift her up from outside of her cage as mentioned. Cage stays open as long as possible. :)

I have some rabbits that have never got used to being picked up they are just too nervouse if I want to transport these ones I usher them into their cat carrier to transport them to the garden etc. I find its not worth upsetting them.

Good idea. I wish I could usher her into something but her cage for the time being is a smaller one you'd get at a pet store. With one door in the middle, and the room it's in that she gets roam of 80% of the day is very open with a nice cubber for her to hide in in one corner of the room hahahah. I'm finding it's best so far to just have her rest against my chest as soon as possible once lifted, because then she is calm.

Persistence pays off when it comes to picking up rabbits. At least it did with Bandit anyway, I found it was both a matter of him trusting me more, and also a matter of me developing a better technique. It sounds like you pick her up similar to how I pick Bandit up too, however with the hand that's around the front legs/chest I also reach my thumb over the back of his neck, that way he can't push up out of my hands. Then my other hand just scoops under his bum.

Bandit struggled a lot when I first got him, but I was determined that if he struggled, I wouldn't set him down. I just held him firmly until he settled, then he'd get lots of pets as a reward and then I'd put him back down.

Okay well last night I did make some progress with her. I was actually able to scoop her bum into one of my hands while supporting her upper body with the other, she shivered and after a few moments struggled until she was back onto my lap again. It was a first, but we did it. Hahah. Going to try practicing this with her once a day when she's spending time with me on my lap. :>

Latest posts

Back