licking wet litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tundrakatiebean

Reaction score
First off I used yesterdays news with a plastic mesh on top. I find that the urine sticks to the plastic so I wash it off when I change the litter, dry it off as best I can and put it back on top of the new litter.

Well, I changed the litter yesterday and rinsed off the mesh and put it back on the litter and put the litter pan back in the cage. Wash used it almost as soon as I set it down and took a little piddle. He then jumped off the litter tray and licked at the plastic mesh where he had just peed. :shock:I thought maybe there was some water left on it and he was thirsty so I checked his water dish in case he had knocked it over while I wasn't looking or had taken a binge drink. It was half full, so he had obviously had enough to drink. I kept watching him all day and he was drinking his normal amount of water.

Can anyone think of any reason why he did this? It's kind of weird and something he has never done before. I'm baffled...

Pebbles does it too. She would pee, turn around a lick the wet spot before it drains through the plastic screen.
Her water bowl sits right beside her litter box. :p

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
:shock:, Our Pebbles?;)

Something else you should know. Every morningshe pees on the cage floor right in front of her litter box, but never licks that.

She leaves that for me to clean up before I go to work. :sweep

Pet_Bunny wrote:
AngelnSnuffy wrote:
:shock:, Our Pebbles?;)

Something else you should know. Every morningshe pees on the cage floor right in front of her litter box, but never licks that.

She leaves that for me to clean up before I go to work. :sweep
Is it because you don't give her run around time before work? if I don't let Wash out before I leave the house (not just my room mind, the whole house) he will dig up his flooring and pee on the table underneath. The constant urine parade has burned away the paint :disgust:

Latest posts

Back