Lice!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binkies

Reaction score
My poor daughter caught lice from her cousins (as well as her Nana and other cousins!) This was 2 weeks ago and I can't get rid of them!!! To beat it all I found out from the pharmacist today that I was poisoning my kid. I have treated her with Nix and Rid every two days for 2 weeks. As well as spraying all out furniture, washing EVERYTHING...bedding, clothes, coats, backpacks, carseats. He told me that you should only use the Nix or Rid ONCE every week. Ummmm, oh man I screwed up. It seeps into the skin and builds up in the blood. I'm sorry Liv :(

I've also treated myself and all my clothes and bedding as a precaution. So what gives? Why oh why wont they die!!!!

Does anyone out there know what I am not doing to cause them to keep coming back? Currently the poor kid is sitting around with mayonaise and a shower cap on her head for 3 hours. Read that it would smother them. After that we are going to use the little painful comb thingy again. I feel awful for her.

oh geeze! I have no clue- I only had them once and I was pretty young. Those give me the creeps!

You may want to post this in ther regular forum to see if any members would know. I have no clue.

Your poor daughter, I hope they go away soon!

Oh, poor Liv...and poor mama!! :(

I wish I knew...Em hasn't yet had lice (I say yet because it seems all kids have it at least once...like chickenpox, sorta), so I don't know what to do for it.

Have you tried talking to her dr?

Oh Amanda, so sorry for poor Liv. I really can't understand why they aren't gone. One treatment should have done it. Especially with all the precautions you took with washing everything else. You used the comb in her hair right? It sounds gross, but that is what will help remove any egg larvae.

I'd call her doctor and see what he/she recommends next.

I hope you get her cured very soon. Let us know how you get on with this:hug:.

I'm exactly sure what that meant about the comb AngelnSnuffy.

I am going to take her to the dr Thursday if it isn't taken care of by then. I am hoping that the mayo thing will help and I got better/different Nix combs today. Of course the laundry is in now.

Try vinegar. Rinse everyones hair with vinegar everyday until the symptoms go away. And comb as much as she'll let you.

My mother owns and operates a preschool and I used to get lice about once a year as a child (they seemed to really like me for some reason).

The problem with lice now a days is that they are becoming resistant to the chemicals in the NIX and other over the counter treatments. Many doctors in our area are telling parents to go back to the orginal treatments, which is mainly rinsing their childrens hair with vinegar once a day.

Put sheets, pillow cases, and brushes/combs in the freezer for a couple hours to kill any eggs stuck in the cloth.

Wash everything in hot water.

I don't know if this will work, but put a flea collar in your vacuum bag and dispose of the bage immediatly after vacuuming.

--Dawn

Thank you. I actually bought new brushes today too. I had been boiling them for 20 minutes and spraying them with the spray. With the vinegar, do you just put it in and wash it out or let it stay on a while? She is in hour 2 of the mayo head. I am not looking forward to the mess of rinsing it out and all that.

From what I know - we have a lot of kids in the fall with lice. It's common in farming communities I guess.

Anyhow - lice are becoming resistant to the pesticides.

You have to use the nit come to get them out of her hair! They don't just fall out.

You need to take anything you cannot wash - like stuffed animals and things like that - and put them in a bag and seal it. Those space bags for clothing are good. I knew a gal who had 6 kids that got them..... she had a lot of work to do.

How thick and long is her hair? My daughter's would take weeks to combe out.

I'm trying to think back to when my mom would use the vinegar on me, and I believe you give it a bit of a rinse after. She would fill a juice jug, and I would tip my head back while she poured it over my head. Letting it sit for a minute probably wouldn't hurt anything, then give a little rinse with water.

The vinegar will make hair very shiny too, nice side effect.

--Dawn

Bo I have been using the nit comb. Actually stated that twice already. She isn't much of a stuffed animal girl, so she doesn't have anything on her bed but sheets and blankets and pillows. Those have been washed in hot water and dried in the dryer just about every day for 2 weeks now.

binkies wrote:
Bo I have been using the nit comb. Actually stated that twice already.

Sorry, I misread the information as you hadn't yet (missed the again in the last part of your first post). Otherwise I didn't see where you said that.

Just trying to help! :D

Oh good! I hope she's ok tonight.

How did she tolerate all the hair treatments. My daughter would freak!

Latest posts

Back