Levi's current cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

levi_mom

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new, and I joined the forum so I could hopefully grab some ideas about housing from you all.

This is Levi's current cage:

Leviscage007.jpg

Hubby and I built it last summer, so Levi has been in it for a year now. We have made the "poop drawers" bigger since then, though. Our delimma is the same issue that many people have: PEE! Levi pees and it goes everywhere. We do have plexi-glass around the inside of the cage and that stops the splatter, but he urinates in the same corner and for some reason it always goes between the drawer and the wall. We've come up with several quick fixes, but none of them are permanent, and frankly, Levi's cage is starting to smell quite bad even though we clean daily and it gets taken out every weekend for a scrubbing & a hosing off.

So, after looking at everyone's awesome cages on here, we've decided to go the NIC cage route. We've ordered everything we need (can't find not even ONE orgainze-it storage cube in the stores around here...grr!) and hopefully, by this time next week, Levi will have a new house. We've ordered enough to give him a 3 story house, so he's getting a lot more room out of the deal, too...lol.

WOW!
That's pretty nice!

And about the "pee problem", I have one word for you..well, actually two words but whatever..

Litter Box!

Litter box train him. Its easy and its pretty much a HAVE TO with bunnies.
You can litter box a bunny at any age.

I would suggest a cat litter box, put it in the corner he goes the most in and fill it with bunny safe litter (yesterdays new, paper pellet litter, wood pine pellet litter, ect) and put his hay rack above the litter box along with a pile of hay in the litter box and right under the hay rack.

Then you wait......

Bunnies go to the bathroom while eating so while he is eating hay, he will be going to the bathroom. He will continue to repeat this and get the idea "Hey, this is my potty box! I go here!" And he will continue the good habit.

No more pee everywhere, no more cleaning it, no more cleaning out those trays, no more anything grouse! Just clean out the litter box as needed, its super easy!

Also, Have you thought of getting him neutered? It will REALLY help with his personality AND his litter box training :biggrin2:

edit: Just woke up, still warming up my typing fingers

That sound awesome. I would give him a litter box in his new cage, that way you can just dump it out once a day and more than half would be in the litter pan. He will most likley adapt to it right away since he goes in 1 corner now.

Oh, and awesome idea! C&C cages are the best!!
I actually just upgraded my C&C with a 3rd floor :biggrin:

Thanks all! I actually bought him a big litter box yesterday with good intentions of introducing it to him, but it was a big DUH! moment on my part, since obviously it won't fit through the door of his current cage. I don't think we'll have too many issues trying to get him to use the litter box, since he will pee in any container we put in there...lol.

And. Yes! We are going to get him neutered. I don't know why we never thought about that before as we are huge advocates of spay/neuter for dogs and cats. But, in any case the decision wasn't made just for curing the pee issue, but because...well...let's just say he's having a love affair with his hay ball. I"m all about diversity and don't mind if that is where he wants to put his attention and affection, but it's a tad embarassing when friends visit...LOL. So, I'm hoping the *snip*snip* will help that issue as well.

Try a smaller litter box, maybe a kitten litter box if it will fit.
And the neutering will help his love affair :nod

Cute bunny! And I really like your cage :) Too bad it isn't working out for you.

Having litter box trained bunnies is awesome and makes it much easier to keep them in the house :litterempty: :litterfew: :litterhealthy:

Latest posts

Back