Leo almost died today

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylover78642

Reaction score
Today started off like any other day. I camehome and went out to feed and exercise the rabbits. I had just finishedcleaning the cages and giving them fresh food. So I grabbed Leo and letthe dogs off the hooks so they could run around again. I had Leos cageopen to put him in and today I though I will put him in the side waybecause its less stressfull. Well, I guess he wasen't used to thechange because he flipped out!! He flung himself out of the cagebecause the door wasent closed yet. Now, we have a 2 acre yard withlike NO fencing except some BIG wire squares. So I was really worriedLeo was going to get out of the fences. Now, me dogs are VERY welltrained and when they saw Leo running around they both sat to watch.Well, they also know the command GET!! So I started screaming GET HIMGET HIM GET HIM!! I was so worried I was crying yet!! Finally the 2dogs had him cornered. Popcorn grabbed him up and brought him to me. Hestarted SCREAMING though and I thought Popcorn had hurt him so I yelledDROP!! (Which was stupid but I was WORRIED!!) Leo ran behind his cageand couldnt find a way out because both of the dogs had him cornered.So I blocked one end and moved the opening bigger. Popcorn ran insidethe opening to bring him back to me and I told him BACK (which isanother command). He ran to the other side (where I had blocked himoff) to watch. Finally I was able to grab Leo. But he started SCREAMINGand SCREAMING and he wouldn't stop. It was scaring me so bad and I hadto get him to relax and exam him so I brought him inside. Well, I lethim go in my room once I was sure that Popcorn hadn't pierced him. Hewouldn't move intill he looked around and then ran under the bed wherehe stopped and layed down. I left him alone because I knew he wouldrelax faster and more if I wasen't there. When I came back in he wasrunning around again. I was so happy. This was after an hr and a halfof crying and screaming into the phone that Leo almost died and stillcould from a heart attack!! But he stayed in for 3 hrs and then I lethim go back in his cage and made sure that the cage was securly locked.Right away he started eating so I am taking this as a good sign. Well,I just needed to tell someone that who hopefully wouldn't judge mebased on past experience. Thank You for listening.

I would continue to watch for stress for thenext 24-48 hours after this experience. The idea of the doghandling him (and I'm NOT criticiizing you) is very traumatic for arabbit and could be enough to send him into GI Stasis..I'm really gladhe didn't have a heart attack or something from the dogs trying to gethim!

Peg

Your Dog was bringing him up to you? It's goodthat he didn't kill it and gave you a "present!!" One day,out in my back yard, Bun-Bun was out there. The Dogs accedentally gotout and chased Bun-Bun around a tree. It's a good thing that my Dogsare small and just playfull. Bun-Bun soon whent into "Surrender Mode"and they just sniffed at him while Chip put his paw on Bun-Bun's andsat down on all 4s making a whining sound while wagging his tail - hewhanted to play!! Bun-Bun was fine, just annoyed.
How's your Bunny right now?

TinysMom wrote:
I would continue to watch for stress for the next 24-48hours after this experience. The idea of the dog handling him(and I'm NOT criticiizing you) is very traumatic for a rabbit and couldbe enough to send him into GI Stasis..I'm really glad he didn't have aheart attack or something from the dogs trying to get him!
:yeahthat

Definately keep a close eye on him. Thank goodness he wasn't hurt!

Bunny,

Good thing for well trained dogs. Do you do obediencetraining and or tatumshowing? I do with my dogs, plus agilityand tracking, but guess that is on another forem. Must addthat my little Netherland Dwarf has been known to go after my dogs ifthey get too close and the dogs are very good with the bunnys, it's thebunnys you have to worry about sometimes with the dogs! Gladthat everything turned out ok.

I sometimes leave the side door open to the sleeping area tolet it air out and it will swing shut so I forget to shut it..Scarywhen you go out the next morning and find it open.. I worry that wildanimals could get in like raccoons, even though the entire yard isfenced.

Glad your rabbit survived, sounds like you didthe least worst thing. I used to let our Lionhead run around the"rabbit proof" back garden while I worked on her hutch, but not aftershe got out and it took an hour to find and catch her and all the timewith a very good chance of her being killed.

Thanks for answering back... Leo was fine thismorning and was complaining because he didn't have any hay... Likeevery morning!!:foreheadsmack:

Popcorn and Riley are good dogs. Popcorn is fully trained but he hasnever been to school except for a 4 week session at Petco on puppytraining. Other than that I have taught him myself and he loves to makepeople happy so he listens!! Riley on the other hand is about 3 monthsold and has yet been to obidence school. He does know NO because he isalways getting yelled at 4 chewing on everything but other thanthat:disgust: he pretty much just ignores you!!;)

I think Leo is doing great:inlove:. Though his show fur isruined:faint:!! Because it was covered in saliva and mud it is nowcrunchy. Hopefully by the 22nd Of April it will all have fallen out andbe back to its normal sheen!!

That's kind of a scenario that could happen here, but I'm working hard so it doesn'T.

My puppy really LOVES the bunnies, but maybe a little too much... whenhe wants to play, he sometimes tries to chew on their ears...

I never let him alone with the bunnies. The bunnies now tolerate him,but are usually just annoyed of his wet tongue getting all over them.

bunnylover78642 wrote:

I think Leo is doing great:inlove:. Though his show fur isruined:faint:!! Because it was covered in saliva and mud it is nowcrunchy. Hopefully by the 22nd Of April it will all have fallen out andbe back to its normal sheen!!

HIS FUR IS COMPLETLY RUINED!! OMG!! Its never going to grow back!! Itdoesn't even feel like rex fur anymore. Just like regular rabbit fur orsomething. And i think he might be losing it! I can't show him :( OHNO!!!:sad::cry1:cry3:inlove:Dont worry Leo I still love you!!

I am glad everyone is ok. Hopefully some TLC canfix his coat. Maybe someone in the rabbitry has a show secret forimproving the coat appearance. good luck

Latest posts

Back