Leith petwerks condo cages

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonrain

Reaction score
My boyfriend and I are in the process of looking for a new apartment together. I want to get the bunnykins a new cage, right now they have 2 - a NIC cage at my apartment, and a dog crate at my boyfriends. I wanted to either just get them an Xpen and keep them in that, or get/make them a gaaint cage.

My boyfriend wants to get them a cage rather than a pen, buut he HATES the NIC cages for some reason. So we found those leith petwerk condo cages and were thinking about getting the 48 inch triple story one.
http://www.leithpetwerks.com/prodpage.cfm?prod_code=BA300

Has anyone ever used that cage?? Or a leith petwerk cage in general, even if it isn't the same exact one? Did/do you like it?

Also, how many small (2-4lbs) rabbits do you think could live happily in that? Of course they get plenty of time ( a min of 4 hours a day) outside of their cage to play. Right now I only have 2 rabbits, Zeus is a little over 2lbs and Barnaby is almost exactly 3lbs. I'm hoping to adopt another rabbit or two in the future and *hopefully* get them all bonded. Of course if they don't all bond they'll be able to stay in seperate cages, but if I can get them bonded, I want to make sure I have a big enough cage for them all to stay together. If that cage isn't big enough for 3 or 4 rabbits to stay in together, what size would you recommend? Any other cage recommendations would be appreciated, money isn't really an issue at all and I want to try to find them something nice, since the bf is really against just using NIC's. Ahhhh boys :disgust:

wow that is a nice cage. I'd expect you could put 3 bonded little bunnies in it, provided enough run time outside the cage. it's really expensive though! i know your bf is against it, but you could do an NIC that size for about $60. maybe that will change his mind...

It is expensive. You could probably build one for less. It wouldn't be too hard as long as you know what you are doing and have a plan. You would need some hardware cloth, plywood (or something similar), some flooring (carpet like they have and linoleum), screws, wheels and maybe some other wood for strength and appeal. If you know a handy man it shouldn't be too hard or expensive. You could make it to your specifications. You could even use the NIC panels instead of hardware cloth.

Leith Petworks cages are great.

The shelter I volunteer at got three 3 story 42" cages a few months back. If you need to keep the buns separate you just take the ramp out and there are floor inserts you can get that cover up the hole for the ramp. That's what we do at the shelter.

They do look really nice and have large enough doors to get decent sized bunnies and their litterboxes through, which is one of my biggest complaints about other pre-fab rabbit cages. My problems with them are mainly for rabbits that aren't litter trained. The sides are wood, which absorbs urine, plus if you have the floor inserts in then pee can seep down the side and between the insert and the floor. Eww. And the wooden sides are only like 2" high, which makes it very easy for rabbits to kick poo, hay, and litter out of the cage or to spray out of the cage if they want to. This is easier to fix as you can get commercially made urine guards that attach to the cage wire.

I think you could easily have three happy small rabbits in that cage, possibly four if they get a lot of free run time.

Overall it is a good option if your boy doesn't like NIC cages and you're not very handy.

I think we might just go with the petwerks cage because I definatly couldn't build one, and I doupt my boyfriend could either (shh don't tell him I said that! ;) )

He knows that a NIC cage would be way cheaper, but just doesn't like them for some reason. He doesn't think they look "nice", and since we'll be keeping the rabbit cage in the living room he wants something he likes the looks of. Money isn't really too much of an issue anyways, we don't mind spending alot on the cage as long as it's not going to fall apart a month later or something.

Do you think the rabbits chewing on the wooden part of the cage would be an issue? That's something I was kind of worried about, although I think Petwerks sells a chew gaurd or something? I definatly need the urine gaurd because Zeus loooooves to kick stuff outside of the cage. I don't think I'd have to much of a problem with the urine soaking into the wood though since my boys are litter box trained. It's something to consider though in case I tried to bond them to another bun that for some reason wasn't good with using the box.

Thanks everyone for the replys! :D

Actually the shelter buns haven't been too interested in chewing the wood. I have had very good luck rubbing a bar of soap on wood furniture in my house. They really hate that taste and will thump at it, glare at me, and give up, LOL!

We just ordered a condo for my two, it should be here in just a few more days and I can hardly wait!!!

I have tried building NIC condos for them but they are never very sturdy. Pieces were constantly falling off and I found it extremely frustrating. Plus I really like the way the Leith Petwerks condos look.

I thought about the wood chewing thing as well, I'm going to wait to see how they do and then take get some type of chew gaurd if I need to.

That is a great idea to rub a bar of soap on the spots they are chewing!! I have used perfume a few times but the smell was way too overpowering. Once I made the Huge mistake of using Nag Champa oil. Even the bunnies started to smell like it:shock:

we just got our condo this past weekend it was extremly easy to put together and looks great. They are finally starting to explore the other levels and seem quite at home.

But of course they are chewing on the wood. I may have to buy some sort of guard to put a stop to that.

you can build one for a lot less and make it however you want. go to this website to get ideas www.guineapigcages.com and www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

someone gave me these sites and i just love how you can create anything you want and it's so easy. and it's not permanent so if you make it and don't like i then just redo it...kinda like playing with blocks!! anyway, you'll get the idea when you see the site. =)

I have a triple level one and a double level one. I made another double level one myself. They are expensive, and not too much to make if you do woodworking and can make the wood parts and then buy the wire parts from KW Cages.

ed

Latest posts

Back