Leaving the Cage Door Open

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elf Mommy

Reaction score
Have you ever been so busy in the hustle and bustle of an evening that you just go and forget that you left the cage door open?

Elf was treated to a little uninhibited freedom last night.

Of course I found her lounging in her cage when I came out in theliving room. But what antics she was up to in the still of thenight....are yet to be discovered.

hehe

Has this happened to you? What did you find?

Hi Elf Mommy !, Ihave not yet forgotten to closeacage , but havegone down to find a cage openand a rabbit missing , I have hook downs onthe top opening cages , rabbitscant open . so I know he hadhuman help .

He needless to say jumped out andwent for a hop about , Living on a majorHIghway I was near frantic to find himand searched everywhere with no luck .about an hour or so later I happenedto look where my Gold tip Steelwas cages and He looked funny, looked again and harder andrealized the Fawn Mini had hoppedhis way back into the garage and waslooking at me like " So ok wheresBreakfast "? brat baby .

I went out for several hours yesterday and cameback to find I'd left Toby's cage unlatched. I don't eventhink he tried to come out. The door was in the closedposition, just wasn't latched. He could havehadsuch fun! He just didn't know it! If it had beenthe girls' cage, half the house would have been eaten!

Laura

The two times I've done that, they went on aspree in the backyard. Bunbun was especially funny...I'd always findhim in the neighbors' yard eating his head off. The grass is greener,you know!;)I'd call, and he'd come running. "Mommy, guesswhat FUN I had with these hot little fuzzy brown women!!!" I alwaysexpected that year's crop of wild babies to include some big orangeones.:p

Jasmine got loose and started eating poison ivy. Not the brightestcritter, but she was ok after all. She liked to make me chase her.

Rose

No, can't say that's happened but one time I wasstraightening up the cage and Cookie (the dutch) jumped right on mychest because she wanted out so bad and couldn't wait for chores to bedone first!

I have to say that this had happened to me once.Long before we knew, Emmy could open her cage by herself. Whenwe all went to bed one night, Emmy had just spring the door open anddid whatever she'd like. Clueless as I can be, I didnt know that shecould even open her cage door; also to the standard of what she did atnight. At 5:00 AM, my mom went down to our living room, and she sawEmmy lying down on out carpet, just chilling around. :shock:

When my mom told me this, I started laughing. :D

No- but I dread the day when my chidlren figureout how to unlatch it. Luckily Nicki isn't a chewer- but who knows whatwould happen if she KNEW she had free range without me watching her.She'd prabably just poop everywhere! ( although she is litter trained-I think she likes to test me)

Hi this happened once with ourButtercup. My husband & Iwere inbed, early onemorning our dear little Buttercupjumped on the bed. Husband said "O isn't that sweet Mommiebrought you to see me". I also awoke at that time to tell himno it wasn't me. Them we figured out DAH we left his cageopen. He didn't seem to get into any trouble though.

Sooooska

Whenever they'veroamed at night, I've slept on the floor and so the bunnies usuallychoose just to snuggle. Though Rex did leave a couple of cocoa puffs bymy feet once :disgust:

Christine's bunny Bella got out a few months ago, she posted about it:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=8296&forum_id=1

Though I think that later on Christine did in fact discover Bella had chewed her way through a comforter :shock: :p

~Emily and the Fuzzbutts~

I don't think I've ever left the door open, butI have had a few escapes. Abby was the queen of escape for along time. She kept getting out of the cage and having herfun. Delilah also figured out how to get out of her cage, I'dalways find her curled up on my bed. And Sampson has escapeda few times. Once, when we were visiting my friend, hedecided he needed to sleep with Mommy and once when I don't think Iproperly latched his cage and in the middle of the night he wentbounding across the bed and scared me half to death!

Jen

Amber squeezed out of her cage once. I found herright outside of the cage, and the cage was still latched. I stoodthere in disbelief for like 5 minutes trying to imagine the littlestinker slipping out of her cage.

I did something like that two weeks ago.It was a hectic day. We were cleaning cages and tanks, cleaning thehouse, phone ringing off the hook, when Dale decides he wants to cookout.

I can handle this, we pile into the car to go grocery shopping.Come home start putting groceries away when:shock:where is Apollo? Search for him and can'tfind him, Dale says how to you lose a 19 pound rabbit. I am freakingout and tell him quit being cute and help find him. Finally find himasleep in the bathroom. He had wedged himself between the toilet andthe wall.

We were gone for almost two hours. He never messed withanything. Now before we go anywhere we make sure everybunny's cage isclosed and locked.

Tina

My little Shortness and Star got out...well, Ileft the door open. (OOPS!) Shorty was hanging outin the fireplace. He is (or was) a Dutch. He wascovered in soot! He was all gray and filthy! He gota bunny bath this weekend, and he is as good as new! Sillylittle wabbits! :p Star didn't get intoany trouble. My good little girl ;)

Well, nothing was discovered amiss, so I thinkshe really did just relax in her cage all night, regardless of the doorbeing open.

I LOVED reading everyone's stories!!!

Our little houdini, Bunny, got out three timesintwo days. We walked in the house and she wasstanding there all guilty with the "I didn't do it" look on herface. We discovered the look was because she chewed off mostof the buttons on the remote control. She luckily didn'ttouch any of the electrical cords.

I strongly believe her best friend Ranger, our kitty, helped her out so they could party.

zakfoxmom wrote:
Our little houdini, Bunny, got out three timesintwo days. We walked in the house and she wasstanding there all guilty with the "I didn't do it" look on herface. We discovered the look was because she chewed off mostof the buttons on the remote control. She luckily didn'ttouch any of the electrical cords.

I strongly believe her best friend Ranger, our kitty, helped her out so they could party.
:DTHAT is hilarious! heeheee

Well, I haven't exactly left the cage open. Idid however close BlueBelle outside ofher cage and went outfor the day :shock:. I was really tired and I forgot to coax her backinto her cage before closing it. Good thing my sister went down thereabout 15 minutes after I had left for the day or I don't knowwhatBlueBelle would have gotten into.

Isn't it amazing how much trouble they can get into in just a couple of minutes without supervision?

Lissa

my buns are house buns but they are out 24hrs a day. why make them sleep and lock them in where they poop and wee?

My buns go to the loo (mostly) in there hutch and sleep on the carpet in our back room all night....

anybody else give there buns this freedom?

black_jack wrote:
my buns are house buns but they are out 24hrs aday. why make them sleep and lock them in where they poop andwee?

My buns go to the loo (mostly) in there hutch and sleep on the carpet in our back room all night....

anybody else give there buns this freedom?

bugsy has 24hr freedom and he never does anything naughty, when we goto bed he follows us upstairs and sleeps under the bed, when we get uphe runs downstairs for his breakfast. he has a litter tray in thekitchen and theres never any poops anywhere upstairs. i think he thinksthe whole house is his cage!!

Latest posts

Back