Leaving for a week

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaliQ

Reaction score
My husband and I will be gone for just over a week over Independence Day to go see family. We thought about taking our bun with us in the car, but then realized it wouldn't be much fun for her in the long times in the car. We have a friend who has agreed to bunnysit for us, but I don't think she has much bunny experience. I'm already starting to miss my Sherbotsky!

Any advice on ways to make the time easier for the bunny (or me even lol)? I'm planning on making small baggies of veggies so that it will be easy for her to be fed and we'll ask our friend to let her out for a bit each day. It's also the first time we've been gone from her for longer than a few hours since we brought her home, so I'm pretty anxious.

Thanks in advance!

Write out a care sheet and be detailed. Do everything from feeding (how much of what and when) to cleaning and letting her out of the cage. Label things like food and veggies. Make sure you have enough pellets, hay, veggies and litter to last and make sure any containers and filled before you leave. Also go over all the instructions with her so she knows where things are and what it all looks like.
Have your vets number and address easily available. You may want to call your vet and tell them you are going away and that the pet sitter can seek treatment on your behalf (you should be able to tell them what you want done or get them to call you for things that are not emergencies). Also have a credit card on file there so that the pet sitter doesn't have to worry about the bill.
Get daily updates if possible. This can be a phone call, e-mail, Facebook or whatever. Just to let you know how things are going.
Before you go, clean the cage really well so the pet sitter doesn't have to. If you need the litter box scooped or something, then you can get her to do that, but try to avoid a full cleaning. Washing out bowls should be done if needed while you are gone.

Basically, leave detailed instructions and go over them with the pet sitter.

Thanks so much for the advice, Kate! I didn't even think about the vet part or having a card on file. I was definitely going to leave detailed instructions for her. There are so many things we do in caring for her that I don't even think about now, but someone else might not consider if they're not used to bunnies.

LOL Jen, I'm sure she would have a blast with you and Weston. If only it wasn't farther away than we are already traveling!

I feel your pain. We are going to be gone for an extended weekend later this summer and I'm already stressed about leaving Agnes. Sounds like you have a trusted bun sitter so I'm sure things will go great. I'm nervous about finding someone that I trust to watch her.......

Latest posts

Back