Leash Training?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenna219

Reaction score
I've had my rabbit for about a year now and I have been trying to fully leash train him. Has anyone else done this? I want him to not bite at the neck part and possibly follow me. Is it even possible at his age he may be to old but I don't really know...

Rabbits don't walk like dogs and some cats do. When you leash train a rabbit, it's more about them being comfortable wearing the harness and ignoring it, and then you follow them around where they want to go. Bandit is fine on a harness, he never tries to chew it or the leash, I'm not sure how I would train it out of him.

The only way I could see getting your rabbit to follow you on the leash is if you had his favourite treat, but even then, some might not follow for the fact that they were out in a different area than normal.

A rabbit really isn't going to follow you like a dog, or even walk with you. A harness (never a collar) and leash is more for safety to keep them from running off. They can learn to stop when they get to the end of the leash, and might come back to you. Outings mostly consist of them dashing off, then stopping and you running behind them trying to keep up.

Some rabbits really don't like the leash or harness and will totally freak out. If that is the case, then it is best to just not use them. It's not worth a possible injury. Most rabbits do seem to at least tolerate the harness and leash.

A rabbit really isn't going to follow you like a dog, or even walk with you. A harness (never a collar) and leash is more for safety to keep them from running off. They can learn to stop when they get to the end of the leash, and might come back to you. Outings mostly consist of them dashing off, then stopping and you running behind them trying to keep up.

Some rabbits really don't like the leash or harness and will totally freak out. If that is the case, then it is best to just not use them. It's not worth a possible injury. Most rabbits do seem to at least tolerate the harness and leash.

Ok thanks that's what I thought

I put the harness on my bunny and put them in thier hutch, let them get used to it (make sure you keep an eye on them!) did that for a few days, then added the leash, and i walked with them in the garden, did that for a while. I also take them to quiet paths nearby. make sure you always protect them from dogs when you are out. You can take them out and give them thier favourite treats, to associate it with a good thing. but if they still dont like it, as Korr and Sophie said, dont keep using the lead if they get stressed. good luck!

I put the harness on my bunny and put them in thier hutch, let them get used to it (make sure you keep an eye on them!) did that for a few days, then added the leash, and i walked with them in the garden, did that for a while. I also take them to quiet paths nearby. make sure you always protect them from dogs when you are out. You can take them out and give them thier favourite treats, to associate it with a good thing. but if they still dont like it, as Korr and Sophie said, dont keep using the lead if they get stressed. good luck!

Yah okay thanks ill try that :)

Latest posts

Back