Leaky eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WingsofSound

Reaction score
So, I've had my rabbit for a while now and for the past while his right eye leaks on and off. It can go months without anything and be perfectly fine and then he has tear streaks from it. It only ever happens to his right. I took him to the vet today because he had the snuffles and asked them to check the eye out. They couldn't find any ulcers and only a mild scar on the cornea.

They told me about the possibility of his tooth over growing in the back and causing discomfort in his eye. Something about it hitting the eye muscle? They couldn't get a good look at his mouth and suggested x-rays and sedation to look at him. He's 5-6 years old and I worry that maybe surgery would be too stressful on him. He eats fine (and a lot) and he seems very happy so I'm unsure if it's actually his teeth causing his eye problems.

Also, does anyone know the general cost for a surgery like this for a rabbit? The vet never gave me an estimate.

Tooth problems are possible, but I would want my vet investigating more common causes like a blocked tear duct, first. Even if it is overgrown tooth roots, not sure what can be done, especially since it isn't affecting his eating at all and causing him any pain. May be better to have them try another conscious exam of his mouth and teeth first, before considering a GA and xrays. And ask the vet what could be done if there were overgrown tooth roots.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/dental.html
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/weepy.pdf

Cost really depends on the vet, but anytime a GA is done it will be more costly. Definitely get a quote first if you do have it done.

I would've thought it was a blocked tear duct but they seemed pretty certain it was another cause (though I've heard mixed reviews on this vet clinic). They tried to get a good look into his mouth while we were there but he would have none of it. Tried 3 times but my bunny is a stubborn brat when it comes to poking at his mouth. I definitely will ask the other exotic vet there to take a look at my rabbit instead though I have heard she has more experience. Hopefully it doesn't come down to surgery as I'm nervous about the idea and the cost of it all.

Also, is there an easy way to get a bunny to take medicine? I've tried pineapple juice and carrot baby food. He just refuses to take anything. :C

Latest posts

Back