Leafy Greens

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassnessxox

Reaction score
I have always spent a great deal of time researching about the kind of foods that are good for rabbits. Yet everytime I go to the markets I find myself looking for something to give them, trying to remember what was better than what, what they should eat lots of and what they should eat on occasion.

My main problem is leafy greens. Every leafy green I see seems to be one of those greens that has too much of something that makes them not good for your bun.

What I was really after was a list of veggies I can give them ALL the time! Particularly the leafy green ones! I know there are tons of lists out there but I find myself so confused and conflicted by the different ideas and opinions. I trust you guys, so please help me make a list I can print out and keep in my wallet so I never feel confused on market day again!

A variety is always a good thing, but why don't you give us a list & we can weigh in. I think growing wheat grass is always good, as is any lettuce [except iceberg], parsley, cilantro. Honey got a lot of things from my yard during the growing season: weeds such as dandelion & plantain.

Ours got all the dandelion they could stand over the summer! Luckily, our supermarket sells dandy lion greens too. I always buy the wheat grass in a pot, and let my bunnies go crazy!

For a 2 month old dwarf rabbit, what things can she eat besides hay and pellets?

cassnessxox wrote:
I have always spent a great deal of time researching about the kind of foods that are good for rabbits. Yet everytime I go to the markets I find myself looking for something to give them, trying to remember what was better than what, what they should eat lots of and what they should eat on occasion.

My main problem is leafy greens. Every leafy green I see seems to be one of those greens that has too much of something that makes them not good for your bun.

What I was really after was a list of veggies I can give them ALL the time! Particularly the leafy green ones! I know there are tons of lists out there but I find myself so confused and conflicted by the different ideas and opinions. I trust you guys, so please help me make a list I can print out and keep in my wallet so I never feel confused on market day again!

Hello, I really like this list from the house rabbit society.

http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html
:biggrin:

Yes, they can eat the dandelion flowers. I limited Honey to just the flowers, in fact, because dandelion can be a diuretic.

It's too soon to introduce greens or anything except hay & alfalfa pellets to a 2-month-old. In a few months you can introduce greens slowly to make sure the poops don't become runny. Just one bite the 1st day, then increase slowly. After a week or so you can add a 2nd green.

During the week my bun gets red or green leaf lettuce, romaine, cilantro and a small handful of spring mix salad. I'm careful with the spring mix though, it has somethings in it that are a little high in calcium.
Then I alternate every other week spring mix with parsley. Parsley is a great thing but its a little high in oxalates, so I alternate it.

My bun loves dandelion leaves and flowers.

Hyatt101 wrote:
For a 2 month old dwarf rabbit, what things can she eat besides hay and pellets?
that's it until at *least* 12 weeks of age, then you can start gradually introducing veggies. if you want a treat for her, try a willow ball or something ;)

I fed my babies dandy lion leaves and flowers from our untreated lawn. Never had a problem with it.

As for the list of safe veggies, the things that I give mine every day is romaine and cilantro. I give parsley about 1x per month. I rotate each week between turnip greens, mustard greens and maybe 1 other thing (forget what exactly). They do not get kale, (too expensive for the amount that you get and also not the best thing out there for them). For a treat they get 1 grape each and or a tiny bit of banana and MAYBE a raisen if they are being extra good/cute/begging cute. Mine do not like red or green leaf letuce so I do not buy those but they are supposedly good for them.

Thanks! Taz was born July 21st, so that would make her around 3 1/2 months. Is this too early for greens?

Hyatt101 wrote:
Thanks! Taz was born July 21st, so that would make her around 3 1/2 months. Is this too early for greens?
Taz is 14 weeks so meets the minimum age for introducing fresh green. Some, however advocate waiting even longer. If you do decide to offer greens, follow the suggestions of LakeCondo just a few posts above.

Right. I think i'll start now, but really really slowly. So just a bite or so a day of greens along with her food and hay?

Thanks for the video Suzette!
Jennifer: Thanks, i'll try romaine hearts. Are carrots good starters as well?

Hyatt101 wrote:
Thanks for the video Suzette!
Jennifer: Thanks, i'll try romaine hearts. Are carrots good starters as well?
I would stick with greens for starters. Wait until she's good on a variety of greens before introducing the "treats" which are fruit and carrots.

btw, don't be discouraged if she won't eat something at first - I was SO excited when I could finally feed them veggies and then they turned their nose up at them :(

if she won't try something, offer it again the next day and the day after - mine will generally try something by the third time I offer it if they're going to try it at all.

Latest posts

Back