Layla is getting spayed this week

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eve

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My precious little Layla is booked in for her spay this Friday.

I have been putting this off for a bit and have had many second thoughts about getting it done.But Irealise how important it is for her, so I have decided to finally go through with it.

She is such a hyper, energetic, sweet, loving little girl. We have bonded quite closely and I don't think I could live with myself if something goes wrong. :(

Could I kindly ask you all to keep her in your thoughts and prayers this Friday. I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,

From avery worried Eve.

Happy Thoughts :dancing::happybunny: Eve

I'm sure Laylawill be just fine!:pray: :pray::pray: Can't Hurt! :wink

Mike E.

"Tell Me,I'll Forget"
"Show Me,I'll Remember"
"Involve Me,I'll Understand"

Thank you JimD! :)

Ahh I am so stressed, the big event is tomorrow morning. I have scrubbed down her cage so it is hygenic, blocked off the top levels to her cage so there is no jumping, got new fleecy blankies for her and have fresh veggies, hay and pellets packed for the day.

I read that a heat pad is recomended, would one of these be of much help to her?

Eve wrote:
Thank you JimD! :)

Ahh I am so stressed, the big event is tomorrow morning. I have scrubbed down her cage so it is hygenic, blocked off the top levels to her cage so there is no jumping, got new fleecy blankies for her and have fresh veggies, hay and pellets packed for the day.

I read that a heat pad is recomended, would one of these be of much help to her?
She might be chilled or running a low-grade fever after having surgery (I know I was).
You'll want to keep her warm....but not too warm.
IMO....I wouldn't suggest a heating pad for fear she might decide to chew on it.
Some rice in a sock, warmed in the microwave, is the best idea I've seen posted.
Safe & easy, too. Make 2 of them and you can rotate them so she'll always have a warm one.

Thank you Cheryl, and thank you so much for the great advice JimD. :)

Unfortunately Layla didn't end up getting spayed today.

The vet took some Xrays after Layla was sedated to check on her teeth before doing the spay, and found some problems. She found that her molars were crooked, and one of them had an abcess at the root.

I was really surprised as she has been acting fine, eating normally and generally happy as can be, so I didn't suspect she had any other medical problems. I am so glad the vet took blood samples and xrays to check everything is ok, otherwise this may have gone undetected for some time.

The vet removed the tooth and cut out the abcess through the bottom of her jaw. She has a huge gaping hole there now. The vet said it needs to stay open and I need to clean and flush it daily. She also got metacam and antibiotic injections.

The poor little thing isn't eating or pooping yet, but it hasn't been long since the operation so I will give her a bit more time to see if she eats something.

Thank you all for your thoughts today, I really appreciate your support. :kiss:

Aww poor Layla..but at least it was found early!

so when are you going to get her spayed then?

Keep us updated on how she's going! :)

Feel better soon Layla :kiss:

cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

Thank you for the message. I am glad it was found early too.

The vet said the spay will have to wait till she is fully healed from this, as she doesn't want her to be cut open when she has an infection open.

I don't think I can afford the spay for a month or two now anyway, as Rodney's previous xrays and medication cost me $215, and Layla cost me$500 today. Plus she needs a few check ups and antibiotic shots this week, so I will be broke for a while.

Ps. Layla just ate some apple baby food :). I am so glad she is eating.

I need to flush her wound and give her some pain killers soon. She is so fiestly and hates being held, I have a feeling this won't be very easy.

Poor Layla! I'm glad you have such a good vet now! :pray::pray::pray:

Oh, and try wrapping her in a towel when you have to flush the wound. It helps a lot.

Hi Naturestee, thank you so muchfor the towel suggestion, I have just tried it.

I am so upset.Layla is in a foul mood and grunts, charges and bites when anyone comes near her.

It took me so long to wrap her in the towel. Then my bf held her while I tried to clean and flush the wound. Only she wastrying to biteme so much, and because of all the blood under her chin I couldn't see exactly where to insert the solution.

I don't think I cleaned and flushed it very well. I don't know how I can do this twice a day, I am just finding it so hard because she won't let me near her.

And she is constantly licking the area. Because it's an open wound it keeps bleeding, and I can't put a collar on her to stop her because of the wound location.

Am I supposed to just let her groom it? I don't know how to stop her.Should I watch her all night? I am so scared if I go to bed I will wake up to find her in a bloodied-up state.

Sorry, I know I am probably overreacting, I am just such a mess at the moment. :bigtears:

Hi Eve sorry to hear about Layla, you feel so helpless when the little ones aren't feeling good.

I know both my husband & I have stayed uo during the nights to keep an eye on one of ours if they are not feeling good. What we do for our little babies.

I will say a Get Well Prayer for her so that she get better real soon.

Susan:sickbunny:

I cant believe I missed this thread before!

The towel is a good idea for giving meds. One thing I also do for Maxis put one hand over his head/eyes, so he relaxes a bit if he cant see whats coming. If hes being really fiesty, I have my boyfriend help hold him while I give the meds.

Luckily, when Max had his tooth root abscess it was an inscisor, sot hey were able to get at it from the inside of his mouth.Basil also had an absces on his cheek, which I had to clean daily. I would try to trance him a little on his back before trying to clean it.He would usually stay calm just long enough to clean it quickly.

Im so glad for you that you have a vet who is very knowledgable.Hopefully you guys caught this thing early enough to not cause too many complications.

I'll be praying for you and your little one.

-Haley

PS..if she keeps trying to lick the wound, would one of those collars help? I know its on her face, but maybe if she couldnt move her head as much..

It's ok Eve :hug2:..i have been in your position before,and it can be apretty distressing time,especially when the bunny just wont cooperate!

maybe you could just give the vet a call and see what she says about Layla licking her wound

How is Layla feeling today anyway?

cheryl

cheryl13 wrote:
It's ok Eve :hug2:..i have been in your position before,and it can be apretty distressing time,especially when the bunny just wont cooperate!

maybe you could just give the vet a call and see what she says about Layla licking her wound

How is Layla feeling today anyway?

cheryl
:yeahthat

Been there, too!:(

Sounds verydeja-Binkie...except we were able to put a collar on her.

I agree that you should give the vet a call as soon as you can.

Prayers and good thoughts sent!

jim

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all of your replies. You have all been so helpful and wonderful.

Soooska, thank you so much for the thoughts and prayers, I am very grateful for them.

Haley, Thank you so much forthe great advice. I have tried to cover Layla's eyes like you said and it really helped to stop the biting a bit. Also, I can't put one of those collars on her as the wound goes from under the back of her jaw onto her neck, so a collar would directly irritate the big open hole. Thank you so much for the prayers too.

Cheryl and JimD, Thank you for the advice about calling my vet to see if licking the wound is allowed. I have done this and luckily she said this is fine and that it will help in keeping the wound clean. I am so happy she is allowed to do this as I have had trouble stopping her.

I slept next to Layla's cage with a torch and checked to see that she wasn't doing any damage to herself through the obsessive grooming.

Today I managed to give her her meds, flush the wound and clean around it, but it took 4 people to achieve this. :DThe plan of action was to first distract her with some oats. Then my bf threw the towel over her from behind and held her firmly. My mum held her chin up and covered her eyes using bite-proof gloves. My dad shone a torch under her chin so I could locate the hole amongst all of the bloodstains, and then I did the flushing, cleaning and gave her her meds.

Laylais not very happy with me at the moment. I am just afraid that after taking so much time to gain her trust, she has gone back to her agressive behaviour and absolutely hates me. All the petting and oats in the world won't make her forgive me anytime soon.

Just a quick question, the only thing she will eat is cooked mashed apples with a pinch of oats. She hasn't touched her veggies, pellets,and is pooping only a very small amount. Is it ok to feed her such treat food just to make sure she keeps eating?

Thank you all again for your help! :kiss:

Latest posts

Back