Layla has a boyfriend!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaylaLop

Reaction score
So, as some of you know, I did a bunny date to see how Layla and her new boy bun would get along. So far, so good. When let together in a neutral area they will sniff each other, chase (somewhat), and jump into each other's cages to eat the other's hay (silly buns, it's the same hay)...

He's a American fuzzy lop mix about mini lop sized. He is neutered and about a year old. Originally his name was Nikolai but I always wanted a bunny named Mumford, so now his full name is Mumford Nikolai, or Mumford for short.

I've let them have some run around time together so far, and there's been no biting or aggression. Layla is curious/timid of him, and he seems happy to have a female friend. He's way more laid back and less bouncing off the walls than Layla. One of these days I'll take pictures of them both together! Buuut here are the pictures I already posted of him, as well as a short youtube video clip of him.

Screenshot2012-01-06at120558AM.png

Screenshot2012-01-15at105523PM.png

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4SR0rjQmOs&feature=g-upl&context=G2a1cfabAUAAAAAAAAAA[/ame]

Thanks :) I'll be sure to get pictures next time I'm letting them run around together. I figure I'll give them some out of cage running together time so that hopefully once Layla gets spayed in about a month (and has a healing period), they're pretty much ready to permanently bond.

I need to get re-building on cages! They are both in temp ones right now...

His fluffy head
Screenshot2012-01-17at41033PM.png

Cute lil face
Screenshot2012-01-17at41019PM.png

First kiss!
Screenshot2012-01-17at40918PM.png

Their new set-ups. Side by side with a board between. I put the cages on discount priced snap together laminate to protect the carpets since my linoleum had been shredded by Layla :rollseyes Hoping it stands up better!
Screenshot2012-01-17at40939PM.png

Dawww!! Mumford is freakishly adorable! His cuteness goes well with Layla's cuteness :D I love the tuft of fur on his head, what a sweetie. And Mumford is an awesome name, wish I'd thought of it myself.

Congrats to sweet Layla on finding a boyfriend :D

Thanks! I decided to put down laminate flooring to protect the carpet and it's holding up much better (and easier to clean) than the linoleum I had before. Mumford is kind of skittish and flips out when my dog walks by the room, but hopefully he learns to be bold from Layla, and not she learning to be skittish as well.. >.>

More piccies! :biggrin:

Layla's attempt of "lookit meee" and he's too busy perching..
Screenshot2012-01-20at92807PM.png

Closer to what she wants
Screenshot2012-01-20at92824PM.png

I thought only dogs did this...
Screenshot2012-01-20at92840PM.png

Seems they're comfortable enough with one another
Screenshot2012-01-20at92901PM.png

*Sorry for the flash white-out* Buuut they keep hanging out in the same cage together. He won't groom her which seems to bug her, but they don't nip/chase which I take as a good sign. He just ignores her and she fawns over him like a lovestruck teen :rollseyes

Screenshot2012-01-20at92935PM.png

They really look like they are getting along. I know Layla wants more, but she's got to be patient.

Thanks for sharing the pics. Absolutely beautiful rabbits. Love Layla's markings, and Mumford shading, no wonder Layla can't keep her eyes off him.

Hoping this friendship continues. And Layla breaks thru to her Shy Guy.

K :)

Thanks! He's pretty shy and thumps in warning if I come into the room without making a noise.. In response to his thumping, Layla then has to go investigate and beg me for head pets and ear rubs.. Silly girl :p He's pretty patient with her and even if she's nudging him he just sits there, or turns around and grooms himself to ignore her. I've read that the ignoring each other but sitting close is a good stage. So far they've been left together with both cages open and boxes/veggies out on the floor for over 4 hours every day. Today they've been together for almost 6 hours. Oddly enough, Mumford has decided he likes to live in Layla's first cage, and she has decided she likes his cage.. so now they're switched! Oh well, whatever makes them happy!

So I let them out of their cages today to run around/bond and I heard loud scrambling sounds, so I go to check on them and find Layla chasing Mumford into the corner. I feared things were going to get tense, but then Mumford starting grooming her head and ears! As soon as they saw me in the doorway they stopped and acted innocent! Yay things are working out!

Didn't get any pics of him grooming her, buuut did get some better pictures of him (and some of her) with my better camera!

Screenshot2012-01-24at95005PM.png

Screenshot2012-01-24at95229PM.png

Screenshot2012-01-24at95050PM.png

Screenshot2012-01-24at95310PM.png

Screenshot2012-01-24at95146PM.png

Would you say he's a blue otter color? Obviously not show quality breed/color, but that's the best I can come up with. I think he's a mini lop/lionhead mix the more I look at him. Any other opinions? :big wink:

Back