Laying down?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustiechick

Reaction score
My rabbit dusty flops over a lot during the day in her cage! I always see photos of rabbits flopping down and their owners petting them or sitting by them but my rabbit would never let me do this. Every time I catch her laying down I have to tiptoe over to her cage to get a better look. No matter how quiet I am as soon as I get close she pops right up. Why isn't my rabbit relaxed around me? My mom thinks she will become more relaxed with age as she is only 1 and a half old? Is this true?

It might not be you she might just startled or she's a light sleeper. Rabbits do that when they are happy and content and wanna take a nice nap.

Gus still hops right up if we approach him while he's flopped on the floor--and we've had him for almost two years! He has become more relaxed over time, but never as relaxed as some of the bunners in the pictures. I think itcomes down to the rabbit's personality. Some are just more calm and trusting than others.

Hope that helps!

Rue

With mine it all depends on where they are flopped out. If they are more out in the open they tend to tuck their feet under when I come into the room. If they are in more secluded spots or further from the door they may pick up their heads to look for a moment before resuming the snooze. I get the feeling they are thinking: what's that noise? oh it's just you. zzzzzzzz

My gorgeous Pippin was just 4 years old when he passed away, and to the day he passed he would always jump up when he saw/heard anything from his 'flop' (for cuddles, but still!). I only have a very few pictures of him 'flopping' and ONE where he was asleep lol, and believe me, I was SPY quiet!! The army will want to hire me after seeing how quietly I crept towards him, camera on zoom at the ready.

Benji is 5 years old now and has literally only JUST stopped leaping up from a flop whenever he hears someone approaching.

I have actually noticed it specifically since about a month ago, and have mentioned it quite a few times to others who know Benji (they don't seem to take it in fascination as I do though lol) in surprise. He lets me walk right up to him and stroke him all down his body while he flops, feet oustretched.

I put it down to him maturing and becoming a bit more....relaxed, you know? But I am not entirely sure. I wonder if anyone else has found this?

Jen

Ours do the happy bunny flop, usually in or near their cages or when it is just me up.
Squish has hers perfected to the dead bunny flop, she has scared us. Sleeping with her eyes half open and her mouth drooping, once I reached in the cage and stroked her head while cooing "you look dead ..." she did not move or react at all, I freaked then she freaked then I burst out laughing and she remained annoyed.

Latest posts

Back