Latest rescue....with broken leg

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIpitydane

Reaction score
Hi all..still haven't been around much lately...I still miss my Nelson something horrible and have made arrangements with his breeder and will be bringing home a light grey baby next week sometime. The little starving rescue boy that I took in a few weeks ago recovered fully and has been neutered and placed in a new home (yay!). But now I have a new delimma as of Friday afternoon. So a friend of mine who occasionally works at this local petstore had called and told me about a young NZ girl who was at the shop...apparently someone found it...brought it there...and was only going to leave her there while she ran some errands....then pick her up. Welll.....she never came back. The owner of the store was not happy about the "ugly pink eyed white rabbit" being there and knew there was no way she could turn a profit on it so she wanted it gone. My friend was asking about my taking this rabbit...that the owner was threatening to throw it outside....which is wrong on ALL accounts...but anyone watching the news lately knows that here in Arkansas we have been over 110 degrees daily for the past few weeks...I told her I could NOT take this rabbit...that I stil have my Elton..and a baby Flemmie on the way...but I would help place it by word of mouth as long as she could keep her evil employer from throwing her out. So anyway, that was a few days ago....on Friday my friend shows up at my work with a cardboard box. In the box is this NZ baby. She said she brought her there becuase the owner of the store told her to dispose of the rabbit any way she wanted...as a bonus it was found that she has a severely broken rear leg....its nearly compound. This sealed her fate and basically she was there to euthenize her. The rabbit is sweet, calm, and seems to be in good spirits despite her injury and I felt like if there was any possible way she deserved a chance. As a short term arrangment I told her to wait...and Id take her home with me until the situation could be thought thru and evaluated. She is on Metacam for pain...tho it seems this break is so old it is no longer painful...just incorrectly healed. This rabbit needs surgery to amputate her leg...I know she can't carry it around he rest of her life....as best I can guess...shes only about 3 or 4 months old...still has fluffy baby fur.....but the expense of surgery isn't something we can afford right now...especially with having my OWN critters to care for. I am considering letting her go for now with the leg until I can save for surgery...and in the mean time keeping her on metacam for pain. Does this seem abusive? Would it be better to just euthenize her now? Our local rabbit rescue has offered to help with expenses to some degree but it will still take some time before I can get her surgery. Anyway...really I guess I'm just rambling...I just feel like she deserves a chance after having it so rough to start. Also...I am GUESSING seriously on her age....are there any good ways to tell a bunnies age? She seems babyish because..well...she just looks baby still....really fluffy soft baby fur...and she just has that new look to her lol. She is 7lbs now which would go along with a normal NZ size at that age I'd think. Anyway, she is a sweet girl...I'll post pics soon.

7 lbs with baby fur...that'd almost make me think she's actually a Flemish... Usually, I've seen the baby fur gone between 8 and 12 weeks old, and junior prime comes in about 4-5 months old.

I'm sorry to hear the leg is a healed compound break...I've healed simple breaks that were discovered within a few hours by using popsicle sticks and tape for a brace, but never had to deal with a compound break.

The rabbit I had with the broken leg seemed to do pretty well just carrying around...but I would be hesitant about letting a compound break, even a mostly healed one go. If she were with me, I would probably have her put down if she showed any signs of pain; but, if she seems to be getting along fine, and I thought I'd be able to afford the surgery within the month, I might help her through it.

fur isnt such a good estimate of a bunnys age sometimes it could be because her coat just hasnt been getting the right nutrients from her food.
Assuming she is not a mix and according to the Standards of Perfection
New Zealand Juniors (under 6mos of age) should not be over 9lbs and minimum weight is 6lbs
New Zealand Pre-Juniors (under 3mos of age) should not be over 6lbs (usually trios are 3-4mos and weigh around 5-6lbs

If its a Flemish there is no real defining factor as far as weight and age goes. It says Juniors (under 6mos) minimum weight 6.5lbs. For intermediate (6-8mos) no weight is given.

Good luck with the baby

Back