Late introduction!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ariana

Reaction score
Hi my name is Ariana I am 16 and I am a HUGE animal lover. If I can do something to help an animal I will! I currently Have Squishy , who I’ve had the longest. And a rescue + foster bun I am looking to find a home for.
Squishy is a free roam , feisty , and very stubborn bun! I go squishy in 2016 from my sisters school, they had a bunch of rabbits all together and sadly they all ended up killing eachother but I had kept squishy. He came from living in a greenhouse in wire cages with no hay or proper diet . To living his spoiled life in the largest room in the house and being free roam. He now has proper care and has helped me educate myself and others on rabbits! He wasn’t my first bun, I had actually been given his baby that was orphaned, I care for him to the best of my ability but he ended up not being able to poo and passed.
Squishy isn’t neutered, he only has one that has dropped. We do not know his age . He got his name because from the beginning no matter what anytime you open his door or approach him he squishs up in a ball like “DO NO TOUCH” . I’ve had Julian, Squishy, River , Daisy and now Luna. Daisy I adopted out , river sadly passed after a SUDDEN respiratory infection over the winter. It came out of nowhere and I am devastated, it has been a year since we lost him and it is so hard still. Luna was my neighbors but he let her lose during the winter , she is terrified of people and attacks when approached. I am working with her and hope to find her a good home as I am not able to care for her long term.
Squishy lives with Jazzy, his catto friend, stitch his dog friend and Mr. T the turtle who is his roommate.
Since discovering this page it has helped me so much! And the people on here are so sweet! I suffer from anxiety and depression which makes it hard for me to be calm in situations, anytime I am freaking out or something tiny I can turn to this page and it helps! FA7AA3EB-6F7C-403C-90E8-6C0882D597F1.jpeg 120697ED-E5E9-4747-AFBD-3F7297E255B9.pngD0602A91-ED2B-4DBA-B89B-1A5F5039D362.jpeg337F952B-1148-4021-AEF2-FCAAB3F61C71.jpeg78E392AE-14F3-4F60-99EC-CB8D2518B253.jpeg10A3550E-11C5-4B37-AC16-354A289A0E5E.jpeg

Hi my name is Ariana I am 16 and I am a HUGE animal lover. If I can do something to help an animal I will! I currently Have Squishy , who I’ve had the longest. And a rescue + foster bun I am looking to find a home for.
Squishy is a free roam , feisty , and very stubborn bun! I go squishy in 2016 from my sisters school, they had a bunch of rabbits all together and sadly they all ended up killing eachother but I had kept squishy. He came from living in a greenhouse in wire cages with no hay or proper diet . To living his spoiled life in the largest room in the house and being free roam. He now has proper care and has helped me educate myself and others on rabbits! He wasn’t my first bun, I had actually been given his baby that was orphaned, I care for him to the best of my ability but he ended up not being able to poo and passed.
Squishy isn’t neutered, he only has one that has dropped. We do not know his age . He got his name because from the beginning no matter what anytime you open his door or approach him he squishs up in a ball like “DO NO TOUCH” . I’ve had Julian, Squishy, River , Daisy and now Luna. Daisy I adopted out , river sadly passed after a SUDDEN respiratory infection over the winter. It came out of nowhere and I am devastated, it has been a year since we lost him and it is so hard still. Luna was my neighbors but he let her lose during the winter , she is terrified of people and attacks when approached. I am working with her and hope to find her a good home as I am not able to care for her long term.
Squishy lives with Jazzy, his catto friend, stitch his dog friend and Mr. T the turtle who is his roommate.
Since discovering this page it has helped me so much! And the people on here are so sweet! I suffer from anxiety and depression which makes it hard for me to be calm in situations, anytime I am freaking out or something tiny I can turn to this page and it helps! View attachment 43077 View attachment 43071View attachment 43072View attachment 43073View attachment 43074View attachment 43075[/QUOTE
I
I don't know what to say , but :)
You are so kind , and i love all your pets .
I'm the same and this page really helps me too .
Thank you everyone on here!

Welcome! If you lived closer, I would want to hire you as my photographer. Cute animals, cute pictures. I know what you mean about the calming effect that animals have on people. I used to be an aide at a memory care facility, and the management asked me to bring my rabbit to work because they knew I did pet visits. I had a cage at work and I used him in my job to calm down residents that needed extra help. Cheers to your parents for being able to recognizing your needs, and allowing you to have your pets.

Welcome! Rabbits are an *excellent* treatment for anxiety and depression! I posit the thought that watching a rabbit munch on leafy greens is better than Xanax, lol. There's something very cathartic about the crunching and munching as they go back and forth over a huge leaf in a typewriter motion.

I would urge you to look into getting Squishy neutered. Cryptorchidism (meaning one testicle never descended) increases the chance of cancer in male rabbits.

I love Squishy's name, btw! Makes me think of "Mr. Smooshy-face" which was one of our beloved Layne's nicknames (along with "Son," "Potato" and "Lamb/Lambers"). Layne passed last January, but he actually looked a little bit like Squishy.

me and lambers resized.gif

resized 3.gif

Sorry for your loss. He was precious!!
My mother is terrified to get him neutered, the vet told us their backs can break and they can die under . She said she’s never had that happen. I want to get him neutered because I’ve heard it changes their behavior, he’s not very affectionate, he does like to try and hump the cat sometimes. I am worried about cancers too. Have you had your buns done? I’m really just scared to lose him . @Imbrium

His back could break? I've NEVER heard that as a risk with surgery and it makes me skeptical of that vet. The only thing that makes surgery potentially riskier for rabbits than cats or dogs is that rabbits are more sensitive to the anesthesia. A very experienced rabbit-savvy vet is very important because it's easier for someone who's not used to operating on rabbits to dose the anesthesia wrong, etc. You didn't mention Squishy's age, but if you got him in 2016 then I assume he's at least 3-4 years old now. Given his age, I recommend having blood work done prior to surgery to make sure he doesn't have any underlying issues that could make him more likely to have complications with anesthesia (liver/kidney function among other stuff).

Check out the HRS site for info about spaying/neutering as well as resources on how to find a rabbit savvy vet and questions to ask to make sure they know what they're doing. According to HRS, "The House Rabbit Society has had over 1000 rabbits spayed or neutered with approximately .1% mortality due to anesthesia. A knowledgeable rabbit veterinarian can spay or neuter your rabbit with very little risk to a healthy rabbit." The key words being "knowledgeable rabbit vet" and "healthy rabbit".

Every rabbit I've ever had as an adult has been fixed (though Alice was around 4 1/2 when she got spayed). Alice is definitely happier, less neurotic and even more affectionate than before.

I thought I'd butt in and say that you and your pets are all so beautiful!

I agree with Imbrium that your vet doesn't seem too knowledgeable and that their backs breaking aren't an issue any more an issue than it would be with a dog or cat. Neutering is definitely worth it, my male was next to impossible to tolerate before his neuter. He would hump our dog and I whenever he could.

I live in the Dayton Ohio area and I just switched to a new vet Miami Valley Animal Hospital, now I am worried she is not fit for rabbits . I see Dr amour (I think that’s her name) . She said that some of her colleagues have broken backs or lost buns during surgery. But she said she hasn’t . I looked on HRS website and read reviews on the ones close to me. Ugh I hoped I had found a good vet! I messaged Ohio rabbit society to see if they had recommendations for where they get theirs done. I don’t know squishys age. However he still hasn’t been pooping normally so I’m not sure what to do, he’s acting fine. UGH! Here is my vets information, maybe you can help me decide if she’s reliable:) http://www.mvahinc.com/veterinarian/oh/kettering/veterinariansCE71BBE4-7467-4BEE-979E-9F70C4771847.png

Pardon my error , she stated that There is always a risk of that happening since they are on their backs and there is pressure applied. She is wanting me to get him fixed.

Back