Last minute bonding advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A month ago, I bought my little guy Dortmund, a plush rabbit toy on a whim. I figured he would tear it up like he did the plush whale I got him a year ago, indeed the first day he had it, he bit it a lot, threw it down to the bottom level of his hutch, and spent a good 18 hours straight having sex with it (he is neutered). However after the first couple days he calmed down and now he spends hours licking it, and spends most of his time sleeping next to it.

from this I have determined he needs a friend. I have bought a cage and have positioned it next to his so he can look over and smell and get used to whatever friend I find him but is still separated. I had a lead on a 1 year old spade female but the person I was buying her from had second thoughts. Which means I will probably need to find a baby for sale. (the rescue nearest me only has males). And I figure I should keep them separated until the doe is big enought to spay.

after that the plan is to traumatize them (i will probably drive them to my sister’s) and then bond them ni a neutral location (My sister’s guest room)

am I fogetting anything?

It's really risky to get a baby and wait for it to be old enough to spay and then pay for the spay (have you checked prices in your area?) and then wait for her to heal, and then, after all of that, just hope that the two will actually bond. There's no way to predict if their personalities will be compatible. You'll need to be ok with the possibility that they won't get along. That's a ton of investment in time, money and emotion on the mere hope/luck that they'll ultimately get along and bond.

If they do not get along, then your current male still won't have a bondmate and you'll now have another rabbit without a bondmate. They would then have to be housed in separate areas of the house so they don't get stressed from each other's presence. Might want to consider if you would be able to accept this possible outcome. Going with a rescue that will work with you to find a compatible mate would prevent you from being put in that kind of predicament.

This rescue in Iowa has a number or rabbits available for adoption (including females).
https://www.iowarabbitrescue.org/adoptable-rabbits.html

And there are more listed here:
https://www.arl-iowa.org/adopt/find-a-pet/pet-list/small-pets/

Last edited:
Dunno how far you wish to drive for a dating situation to gauge relationship chemistry?

Gainesville Rabbit Rescue in FL, and Southwest Florida Rabbit Rescue post all the time wrt rabbits needing forever homes. Hope you can check out all the rescue pages listed.

Latest posts

Back