Last ditch effort before i give this rabbit away!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobunnynoclue

Reaction score
A bit of history: Fiona was just under a year old when I adopted her from a coworker 9 months ago. This coworker had gotten her from a breeder as a baby to be a companion to their first Rabbit (a rescue).

The first rabbit was adopted as an adult (I think), and they say he is neutered and easy going. He is 100% litter trained, and has the run of the house. They expected Fiona to be the same way, but she wasn't. They tried to potty train her but she just wouldn't get it. She was/is also very skittish and really just doesn't like people.

They decided to get rid of her and I was on the market for a rabbit at the time so I took her in, got her spayed, gave her more litter boxes and some space and hoped for the best. Now it's been 9 months since and I'm at my wits end. Same problems that they had with her.

1st, she really doesn't like people. But she will come to you if you have food. She'll take it but then run away as soon as you try to pet her.

2nd, she pees EVERYWHERE inside her cage. and poops all over the place inside and out of her cage. The cage is "open" 24/7 and she has the run of the office. She never leaves the office so we don't worry about closing the door.

2 days ago we adopted a 2nd rabbit. 6 month old unneutered male. He is active and curious. He leaves the office to explore everything, but he doesn't poop anywhere except his litterbox. He's also very friendly and likes to be petted (but not picked up).

I was already fed up with Fiona and have decided twice to give her away. And changed my mind back twice. If we could correct the pooping and peeing issues, we'd keep her even tho she doesn't like people (or vice versa).

So does anyone have any tips or suggestions for making her a better houserabbit ? I am literally "this close" to getting rid of her.

Have you taken her to the vet since her spay to see if she has a urinary tract infection? Maybe she needs a full medical work up to see if it's something physically wrong causing her to pee/poop everywhere.

pla725 wrote:
Is she spayed?

They mentioned that they got her spayed.

I would recommend giving her a smaller area and that should help her get a clue to use the litter boxes. When she gets better about it you can expand her space to what she has now.

Litter training can be quite a challenge sometimes.

My last rescue was picked up as a stray, and I'm fostering her for the couple that found her until they move into their house.

She's a wonderful bunny, but just "didn't get" the idea of litter training.
At first I gave her plenty of space, and several litter pans....none of which she would use.

So I decided to try a different tactic.

I reduced her area to a 3'x5' pen, and put 4 litterpans in it. She had enough room to move around, eat, lounge, etc....but mostly it was a big litter pan.
After a week or so, I took one pan out.
A few weeks later I took another pan out....and so on...and so on.
Eventually, I was able to leave just one pan in her pen and she uses it almost all of the time.

This might not work for all buns, though.

To be quite honest, I have a coulpe of buns that never did take to litter training....and probably never will.

Yes she is spayed. Has been for over 6 months. Her personality and behavior didn't change one iota as a result.

I guess putting her back in the crate with a litter box is a good idea. But she will be confined in there the majority of the day, however, is that OK?

Also she has never been taken to a vet for anything. I've been doing a little reading tonight on the subject of litter training difficulties with the rabbit and I agree taking her to a vet would be a good idea. I know a good Avian & Exotics Vet that do rabbit adoptions too.

The thing that worries me about taking her to a vet and spending tons of money on her is that it seems this is behaviour she has exhibited ALL her life. So how can a UTI be to blame for that ? Could she have a UTI that has lasted an entire 2 years ??

Some bunnies can be very stubborn, but, our stubborn one was also the one with the best habits. The limiting of area and use of multiple pans sounds the best.

Aw, this makes me sad. I'm very sensitive and loving towards animals, so it's sad to see that an owner has thought about giving their pet away, especially more than once.

I feel like some rabbits are hard to train. My rabbit is VERY hard to train. He poops in and out and all over my bedroom. He also bites and growls when you're too close to his food. He sprays if you walk near him (and feels like you are going to pick him up). The spraying has stopped since he got neutered but his personality hasn't. I've had two vets tell me about his "spunky" or "very unique behavior." Unique meaning not a good thing, he is very spastic. He is in my closet (probably pooping everywhere) as I type.

I would suggest keeping her in a smaller room if you have one? Definitely talk to a vet who specializes in rabbits. It really does help. I just don't think you should give her away.

PupTheRabbit wrote:
Aw, this makes me sad. I'm very sensitive and loving towards animals, so it's sad to see that an owner has thought about giving their pet away, especially more than once.
It has not been an easy decision for me at all. I decide to get rid of her out of frustration, but I change it back out of duty. I have given animals away about 4 times in my entire life.

#1) I was under-aged living under someone ELSE's roof and they could no longer deal with the yappy dog while I was away at school. I gave him to a family member who adored him. So I knew he was going to a good home.

#2) I was under-aged, living under someone ELSE's roof and they could no longer deal with the smell of my un-neutered male ferret. I gave him away to two neighborhood girls. NO idea whatever happened to him.

#3) I had just lost my beloved 11yr old African Grey which I hand raised myself from 5 weeks of age, and I felt guilty. I punished myself for my carelessness by "paring down" on the pets I had and gave away 2 sugar gliders to a woman who had an entire room dedicated to her sugar gliders. I new there were going to a good home.

#4) I adopted a black lab from a coworker who was going to take her to the pound. After several months, it was clear that owning 3 dogs was just too much to her so I took her over to a woman who specialized in finding homes for labs. She found a new home on the same day I dropped her off. I got to meet them, very nice people!

I was once going to give away my bearded dragon because I felt I was neglecting him. But changed my mind and just took better care of him myself. He lived for 10 years!

I've had COUNTLESS pets in my life and giving them away has never come easy for me. It's not a lesson I want to teach my two daughters either. I explained we were going to find a new home for Fiona, only to change my mind hours later. I don't want them to learn that pets are dispensable, but when you live in a house with 9 pets, and one of them is causing more work than the other 8 combined, somethings gotta give!! I also don't want my daughters to think that living in a house that smells like urine all the time is normal.

I decided that I am going to take her to a vet and see if this results in something good. I will put her in the crate after work as well. I noticed a change in her these last 2 days. She is more friendly. I think she is following the new rabbit's lead here. He LOOOOOOVES her to death. She merely tolerates him but is warming up. I saw her lick his head yesterday. That is the most affection I've seen from that animal in the entire 9 months we've had her.

Hehe I was just going to say to give it a chance and see if the other can bring out positives about her personality. I am currently trying to do the same with one of my own girls. I hope it works out for everyone :)

It sounds to me like your girl is very insecure. Rabbits will pee to mark their territory but it also sooths them and makes them feel safe. In a house with many other animals she may be having a hard time being brave enough to settle in. I would totally give this new boy a chance, I bet you see positive changes in her behavior.

She reminds me of my Cinderella. She was extremely shy and spent 4 years in a shelter because she wasn't flashy enough to get anyone's attention. She wasn't very friendly at first and would run away all the time. After she bonded with Houdini she became more bold and her perosnality just blossomed. He would get into mischif and she would be one hop behind. She learned that she did have a place in the house hold and it was safe. She gradually opened up to me as well. It was like once she decided to trust her whole personality changed. She turned into the sweetest, kissiest, snuggle bun you could ever dream of.

Some times buns can just be afraid of the whole world so you don't see the good, but the spark is there. Please have hope that in time she will settle in and you can bond with her. I know it sounds strange, but I believe it scares them if you think about giving them away. Somehow they know their place in the home is not secure and it makes things harder. I will pray this little boy gives her some courage to shine. Hang in there.

I don't think the other animals in the house bother her at all. The only ones she comes in contact with are the dogs and they ignore her. She hops around and under them and doesn't seem scared by them in the least. No, she only hates humans.

Just try to keep in mind that her being under socialized is not her fault. Not being handled as a baby can make rabbits wary, but it is is not incurable.

Have you tried trust training?

You also said that you leave the office door open because she never leaves it...that sounds like an insecure rabbit to me. Close the door so she feels comfortable in her own terrain. A rabbit that felt safe would have begun exploring the house, even if she did not want to find you in the process.

I am going through the process of rehoming a rabbit right now, so I can't be on such a high horse of "how could you?" But honestly, MANY of us have had or will have "look at only rabbits" and will work through it. You just need to work through it. I'm rehoming my girl because she was part of a trio that kicked her out. I'm giving her a chance to have another bunny friend in another home because I am not bringing another into the house. That decision was made for HER not out of MY frustration.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but you admitted yourself that you have given away four animals in the past. While they all got loving homes is not the point. It just proves that maybe you should do more research about what to expect from your pets instead of expecting them to fill whatever shape you think that they should hold.

Nelsons_Mom wrote:
Just try to keep in mind that her being under socialized is not her fault. Not being handled as a baby can make rabbits wary, but it is is not incurable. "

I would buy that if she were a rescued rabbit with an unknown or abusive past, but she was a product of breeding and the breeder socializes all her baby rabbits. She was also handled by her first set of owners (or they tried anyway) and those people are SO careful not to do the wrong things and follow the "rules" to the letter, but she was afraid of them anyway. Whatever it is/was that caused her deep seated fear of humans is unknown. It has left all of us scratching our heads. But her fear of people is not what I'm trying to fix. It's her inability to be litter trained despite months of trying.

Nelsons_Mom wrote:
I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but you admitted yourself that you have given away four animals in the past. While they all got loving homes is not the point. It just proves that maybe you should do more research about what to expect from your pets instead of expecting them to fill whatever shape you think that they should hold.
For someone who's not on a high horse, you sure are on a high horse!! Did you even read my entire post or just skim it? Sometimes things just don't work out no matter the best of intentions.

I know how much research I do before I get a pet. I don't need to prove that to anyone. I know how important it is. But not all animals fit the description, do they? I did months of research and thinking before I adopted my Australian Shepherd. I wanted a breed that would have the energy and drive to do agility training while giving a homeless dog a chance at a good life with a family instead of a gas chamber. But what did I get? A couch potato with bad knees. I have never met a dog with less energy in my life. He doesn't even chase after balls. But did I give him back to the shelter? Hell no. He's part of our family now.

Nope, Fiona neither likes people, nor does she confine her waste to the designated areas. I did say I was taking her to the vet... did you read that part? If I didn't give a funion, then I wouldn't be here looking for answers or reading everything I can find on the subject.

Btw, unless you didn't pick up on it, I have kids. Human ones. My #1 obligation is to them. If that means re-homing a pet that is incontinent so that they can have a clean house to live in, then so be it.

nobunnynoclue wrote:

I would buy that if she were a rescued rabbit with an unknown or abusive past, but she was a product of breeding and the breeder socializes all her baby rabbits.   She was also handled by her first set of owners (or they tried anyway)

Hmm. That could be why she is so scared. Has attention been forced on her? With bunnies who are scared of humans forcing attention on them can cause them to be even more afraid.

It's pretty clear you really don't like this rabbit & have not tried to figure out why she acts the way she does, just blamed her. If she hated humans you'd be bitten frequently. And you have rehomed 4 more pets than I have.

I'd just like to take a moment to remind members to try to be constructive with their recommendations ....without being judgemental. Please?

If this member chooses to re-home this bun to a good homebecause they're "over-their-head"....then so be it.

9 months is a long time for some owners to try to accommodate a difficult bun.
An antisocial bun can be quite a challenge...without the added issue of bad litter habits.

Offer ideas....offer support...offer assistance......But, please don't offer criticism.

Thank you.

Why not restrict her area to an xpen or similar so she cant pee all over your house. I hope this bunny somehow finds happiness. :( not manh people would willingly adopt a bunny like that unless you found a rescue to take her. Is she bonded to your other rabbit? Splitting up a bond can be detrimental to both bunnies involved.

JimD wrote:
I'd just like to take a moment to remind members to try to be constructive with their recommendations ....without being judgemental. Please?

If this member chooses to re-home this bun to a good homebecause they're "over-their-head"....then so be it.

9 months is a long time for some owners to try to accommodate a difficult bun.
An antisocial bun can be quite a challenge...without the added issue of bad litter habits.

Offer ideas....offer support...offer assistance......But, please don't offer criticism.

Thank you.

Latest posts

Back