Large poops?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swarning1222

Reaction score
Maybe once every few days I find one single oblong, abnormally large poop from one of my rabbits. It's not a cecal, just like a normal poop but bigger and a different shape. No smell, squishiness etc. She's 10 weeks old, perfectly active and seems completely healthy. What could be causing this? Is this cause for major concern? And how can I correct it? Sorry for the graphic, hd pictures of the poo lol. View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1435205013.370707.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1435205027.110032.jpg

I think you should put them into a jar and them to the vet. I would also take her to the vet as she is only young.

I have only had 1 rabbit who had these types of poop and it was because of a diet change. I changed his diet back at it was resolved. Have you changed your buns diet lately?

Im sure someone with experience can help you. I'm almost positive Jbun will come along and give you very good advice :) good luck

Thank you! She has always had the same diet. I found the link on Pinterest it was very helpful! View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1435234894.459642.jpg

This definitely looks like her poops. So I'll just have to keep a close eye on her and make sure she's not making them often.

I was just reading though about the smaller poops.. My males poops have always been smaller than the females but I figure it was just how his body works (he's a year old and it's always been that way) he doesn't seem at all like he's in any pain, should I make a trip to the vet with him?!
View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1435235314.122112.jpg
I couldn't help but laugh at this picturing them hearing a noise and one tiny poop squeaking out as I'm sure we've all seen them do lol.

My buns never seem stressed, they are always either playing with their toys or lounging around the house so I can't see that being too much of a cause for this.

What do you feed your buns? I know that affected my bun, little poos for the longest time but when switched to two salads a day and no pellets his poos greatly improved!

Rabbits can occasionally produce the odd fecal poop due to some sort of disruption in the digestive process. You will see this most often when a rabbit molts, as any fur ingested can affect the digestive process. As long as it is only the occasional poop like that, that is being produced, I personally wouldn't worry about it. Though it is something you will want to keep an close eye on. If it worsens and becomes a regular thing and is happening every day or several times a day, it may be linked to certain digestive illnesses and you will want to take your bun to a rabbit savvy vet immediately. It could be a treatable parasitic illness, or possibly a genetic digestive illness, especially if your rabbit is a white spotted rabbit. If it is a genetic digestive illness, you likely will need to place your rabbit on a special diet, and may even need medications prescribed, depending on the severity of the condition.

Diet and hydration will affect the size of fecal droppings. Less indigestible fiber and more protein and/or carbs, will mean smaller darker poop, as will insufficient fluids consumed. As fecal poop is mostly composed of indigestible fiber, the more of it a rabbit consumes, the lighter in color and larger in size the fecals will be, to a point. The maximum size the fecals can be also depends on each individual rabbits digestive tract. But the diet also needs to be balanced. Too much indigestible fiber and not enough protein can lead to weight loss and health problems from lack of proper nutrients. Too little indigestible fiber and too much protein/carbs, can lead to gut slowdown(small fecal poop) and health problems, So it's all about finding the right balance for your individual rabbits.

These links describe the rabbits digestive process.
http://rabbit.org/sluggish-motility-in-the-gastrointestinal-tract-2/
http://rabbit.org/disorders-of-the-cecum/
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-digestive-system.asp

Latest posts

Back