Large Dog Kennel for Bunny Cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laughnowalligator

Reaction score
I have a large 5 year old male Hotot Rabbit and i have been keeping him in a large dog kennel cage cause the cage he was in was way to small for him. I need help on what to put down to soak up the urine. I do have a litter box and he sometimes uses it but most of the time he goes around the cage. I've been putting puppy pads down but he just pulls them up and moves them around. I really need some suggestions on what i should do or i might have to get rid of him :( or put him back in the small cage.
Please leave as many suggestions as you can think of. Poncho and I really appreciate it :D

I have a few questions that will help us answer your questions.

Is he neutered?
How long has he been in the new cage? Was it brand new or used for something before?
Do you have any other rabbits?
What kind of litter are you using in the litterbox?
Before you put the puppy pads down, what was he peeing on? Is the bottom just plastic?

A blanket could work. I have some absorbent cloths (like the Sham Wow only not) and they work well, just wash as needed. It is helpful to have enough for 2 sets, one in the cage while the other is getting washed.
Newspaper can work, but it isn't very absorbent and the inks can stain white feet.
Store bought litters can also work, but they can get expensive fast and do create a lot of waste.

Missycove has great questions.

Depending on the answers, you may be able to save a paper towel dipped in his pee, wash the entire pen down with straight vinegar, and put the paper towel in his litter box along with his poops when ever he poops outside the box.

You may have to experiment with litter boxes, litter and placements a bit. But he will eventually pee in his box. You might have stray poops, but he'll pee there.

Where are you putting his hay? If you hang a hay basket so he has to sit in the litter box to eat it, he'll probably leisurely poop and pee as he munches his hay. (But just hay, not pellets, etc). If you don't have a hay basket, just put some hay at one end of the box (opposite from the pee-soaked paper towel. Hay in the litter box is always a good idea. Sort of like the bunny equivelent of a magazine in the bathroom. ;)

Hope this works! (But still answer Missycove's questions).

PS: Is there enough room to add a shelf to the crate? Bunnies love to hop up on shelves, and its good for them!

sas :bunnydance:

He is neutered.
The cage was used before.
I do not have any other rabbits.
i was using care fresh i believe but its kinda expensive for me so ive been using shredded newspaper and/or pine bedding.
And ive always put the puppy pads down and yes the bottom is plastic.

i did have a blanket down but it gets really nasty and i dont want to put it in the washing machine so i usually toss it :(

Just have litter in the litterbox, no 'bedding' in the cage -- just flat newspaper or a grass mat (or a blanket once he gets used to only using his litterbox).

Scrubbing the cage down with vinegar and depositing any pee or dropping in the litterbox should work.

Until he gets used to using the box, don't clean the box with vinegar. (Vinegar totally eats the pee, he needs to be able to smell his 'bathroom' so he remembers that's where his toilet is).

Let us know how it goes!

sas :bunnydance:

A suggestions that if you use some other kind of absorbent material try cloth diaper inserts. They are super easy to wash really absorbent and you can get them on Craigslist for super cheap or even off of freecycle.

I keep my mini lop in a dog cage and once she got the hang of the litter box (I use shredded paper) it became super easy to keep clean.

I know those puppy pads are often scented to make dogs want to pee on them, which certainly wouldn't help with littertraining at all. I'd agree with just going with the plastic bottom. If the only "bedding" is in the litterbox, he's more likely to use it.
If he's already peeing in a certain corner, be sure to put it there.

Pine, unless kiln dried, is not good for rabbits (neither is cedar). I'd use a wood pellet bedding (wood stove pellets are a top choice) :).

Back