Languishing in Southwest Wi

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
100_1212Medium.jpg

Hey Notice Me!!! I'm Pete

My name is Pete..I'm 5 yrs old and a marked man (rabbit). Apparently I committed the crime of being dumped at the Coulee Region Humane Society in Onalaska Wi .(near La Crosse) My family moved without me and now I'm here behind bars. Out of the 7 rabbits hereI have benn deemed the "most unlikely to be adopted". I'm not even on the website ..that's how bad it is.
If you will look at angieluv's avatar you will note that I bear a resemblance to the revered and (RIP) Babette.Yes, I am male and yes I am a little overweightand yes, I do either have fur mites or a heavy shed but I do have potential to be loveable if anyone will give me a chance.
I am competing with a lot of youngsters and a whole lot of other rabbits but angieluv thinks I am a great guy but sort of like a 'turtle in a shell"

If you want a middleaged guy to love ( that once was a real mini-lop stud) and can give me a little lovinI assure youI will give it back...
Ihave a date with the bridge in about a week.......
Give me a chance, just pm angieluv

Sincerely , Pete

Oh geez, how is he not adoptable? Is the shelter overcrowded or something? Too bad Sheboygan has so many right now, lops usually get adopted before anything else here even when they're the devil incarnate.

He has the sweetest face.:(

Did you email TreasuredFriend, just in case? Sometimes she can pull a foster home out of her hat.

Neutered? About how much does he weigh? Will they release him to another shelter/rescue? Even in this oversaturated area he'd be considered highly adoptable unless he strips human flesh from bone or has known bad litter box habits. With everything else on my plate I don't know how much help I can be, but would like to put the word out at least. Sometimes I can get placements for lops that won't accept anything else.

OMG - Pete is ADORABLE.

Flemmies are my first favorites - lionheads my second - but I adore lops - both mini lops and holland lops.

Someone has got to take him. I wish I could fly him here - but with our heat right now - that isn't an option for probably a month or so.

For anyone who is wondering - I've had a minilop - that I rescued - and my biggest mistake - was letting him go to a 4-Her who had her heart set on a mini lop but could only afford the cage and feed and stuff - and there were no mini lops at the show for sale. I had him with me in case I could find him a good home - and I know he got a better home than he could've had with me (she'd researched all sorts of different breeds and he snuggled into her and loved her at first sight).

Anyway - to anyone considering Pete - I highly recommend mini lops and if I had some way of sneaking him in here without Art noticing - I'd do so in a hearbeat...

We are a small shelter without a lot of space for rabbits. things have improved here 100 fold in the past 3 yrs as we have an alliance with petco and 2 ofour rabbits are housed in their store. Euthanasia has gone down dramatically.
We do not have a shelter vet and clinics donate services with rotatation by week . the problem, however, is that sometimes they end up seeing totally non rabbit saavy vets and even the" rabbit saavy" ones really aren't

Pete either is just going through a yearly shed and/or has fur mites. the vet that he saw didn't see mites and did not advice for treatment thus pete got nothing other than one dose of revolution at the shelter administered by me.
the shelter is not financially able(because of the HUGE influx of cats and dogs) to spend any money on him at all.
he would be considered a quiet , older rabbit, is not neutered (although that could be done if there is a potential for adoption because of the petco grant money for spay/neuter)
..if there were a few less rabbits here he would not be euthanized.

right now we have 2 rabbits at petco that are very adoptable and 3 at the shelter and 2 at my house.we have not had any adoptions for months. i don't know why although it may be the economy

pete could be released to a rescue

he is about 8 lbs and is quiet and .i think the fur condition is one of the negative factors in addition to the fact that he is quiet and older.

i could foster him myself if i can get the pair out of here. I have a harlequin female who was spayed today and needs to recup with her mate somewhere
i can't fault the shelter as they have put down only1 rabbit in a year and yet we are doing massive euthanization of kitten, cats and dogs this summerbecause we don't have any space.
treasure friend (Julie) knows about him and has asked for updates. she has helped me before and i do understand and realize the massive disasters going on in chicago and elsewhere so i don't want to push anything on her

get the word out there and i am going to do everything in my power to stall this.
I know of the horrors going on elsewhere with the huge number of rabbits but because he is right in front of me i feel the obligation to be an advocate for him.

angieluv, you're doing the right thing by being Pete's advocate! Just because there are rabbits in need elsewhere doesn't mean you should hesitate for a second to bring him to our attention. Even here in the Chicago area, where, let's face it, there's not exactly a rabbit shortage, there may be an adopter who isn't interested in what's available locally but thinks he's just perfect - a.k.a, if someone can't find the Netherland dwarf they're looking for, they're unlikely to adopt a New Zealand instead.

Pointing out that the shelter may need to euthanize for space is not - or should not - be viewed as a criticism of that shelter. It's a sad fact that any open-intake shelter has to face, and no one - especially those that work there - wants to kill animals. At least those animals aren't being turned loose to be torn apart by predators, starve for lack of food, or suffer after being injured by cars and other hazards of modern life. (Ask me about my abandoned hairless rat "Patch" some time). More power to the shelter staff for reducing the euth rate in recent times, and with a little luck, maybe RO members can help them even more. Every shelter I work with is panicked over the drop in adoption rates, it's not just your area.

Please do keep us all apprised of his situation. Even though I have rabbits pouring out my ears right now, a little voice in my head keeps reminding me how adoptable broken lops are. He's bigger than what local people want, but drat, he's so cute someone's got to notice!

Bluefrog are you in chicago..I very briefly volunteered at Catnap right before we moved from chicago.
couple of updates on pete.
1) he is already neutered (DuHHHH) and it's on the surrender sheet. something that may alter Cassandra's thinking about him.

2) while I was brushing him today i am noted a fresh new batch of hair growing in on his back so i doubt that he has mites. his previous owners already said that a shed waswhy he looked so rough.

3) These 2 factors may alter cassandra's thinking about himbut we do have to get a couple of these buns out of here. just can't figure it out.?
4) Peg has shown interest in him if he could be flown to texas when the weather gets cooler. this means that he would need to be fostered soon if the euthnasia is still on. this is a gracious offer that most likely will keep him alive whether it happens or not.

i don't think that the shelter will release him to anything other than a rescue, meaning peg would need to do a formal adoption .

this gives her some time to think about the expense of the trip and decide whether it is really something that she wants to do..I know ,Peg, that you LOVE every rabbit in need

anyway I feel that there is a lot more going onfor pete today thanthere was yesterday and he even looked a little brighter today.

so this is an ongoing process....

thank you Bluefrog for reaffirming my philosphy that sometimes i can only help what is in front of me and that i do try to do.:)

and thanks Peg for making him such an important bunny

Rememer Oberon was on the "list' and everyone at the shelter except me disliked him
Now he's a STAR BUNNY

Maureen

I'm asking Art tonight if I can get him as my "anniversary" present. He really liked our mini lop that we had before....and the fact that this guy is already neutered is a major plus.

I don't mind adopting him - I just know some places won't adopt out to a breeder (well - former breeder - I'm not breeding now except for two litters in the future to help another breeder out since I have the last of one of her bloodlines) - or to someone who has to have a rabbit shipped.

Anyway - I hope to talk to Art about him tonight....and since it is our anniversary......

Well.....I'm really hoping for a yes.

I just got done talking to Art about Pete.

He asked me why he was "unadoptable".

I said, "He's old....and he's going through a bad molt...and people won't want him"

He said, "So he's old and ugly...you're telling me he's gonna be put to sleep 'cause he's old and ugly."

I said, "Basically, yes."

He said, "Well hon...I'm old and ugly too - he'll fit right in. Bring him on down...."

So if we can arrange transportation and if the shelter will let me adopt him - he has a home.

I just want to add - I'm already making plans for his NIC pen. He will have a 2' x 3' NIC pen (Radagast is currently in it - but he will be moved to another pen that is shorter in height since he can't jump over and the rabbit that is in that pen can move to a cage since he's a smaller rabbit).

He'll be beside two does and he'll be in my office - and he'll probably be able to get run time with some of the does since he's neutered....or with Miss Bea. Or he might just get run time alone.....but he'll have a good set up here.

Oh Yayyyy! I'm so glad Art felt that way. You really did marry the right guy, Peg. (I know I've said that before.)

Florida is out of the way on the whole transport thing. I hope the bun railroad of RO can put it together and get him to you!

Minda

Peg don't get you hopes up too high
I don't know how Cassandra will feel about such a long distance adoption and traveling air cargo. The shelter does have policies on long distance adoptions but I would have to review them.

someone from the shelter would do an application probably over the phone. One of the shelter policies is that all other pets in the home be spayed and neutered ..obviously this is riduculous for a breeder.

just try to keep in a neutral state until we know for sure what's going on.

Ok?

Maureen

That's fine. Maybe keep my offer in the back pocket - in case he stays on the euthanasia list.

If someone could foster him (and they didn't want him flown) - perhaps he could get a ride to ARBA convention in October and then another breeder could transport him back to Texas and I pick him up? A lot of breeders do stuff like that with the ARBA convention....

If I get him - fine. I LOVE mini lops....

If I don't get him - fine. I just hope that maybe if they know someone is interested - it will help him stay alive.

ha ha Peg that is too funny what your hubby said about being old and ugly,lol

I've been petting his head but he sort of inactive.
i will start loving himup now that i am fairly sure that he doesn't have mites.
i think that he's been sitting in a cage so long that he's developed the cage bunny personality. he doesn't seem curious.....:?

myheart wrote:
So you say this guy is about eight pounds?!!! Does he like to be hugged, cuddled, and smooched-up? :p

myheart
Based upon my experience with my one mini lop - and my other lops....if he isn't a cuddler now - I'm betting he could become one.

Hub (my mini lop) always asked for pets at the cage door. He wasn't overly curious and more laid back - but he was a little love bug....well....a big love bug.

I'm betting you'd really enjoy him....and while I'd love to have him - if you're closer - I'd say "GO FOR IT"...

I do recommend mini lops. Not quite as highly as I recommend flemish giants...but I do recommend them!

Not to be a naysayer, but I've met the devil incarnate and she was a spayed mini lop!

Although some of the others I've met have been friendly. Cuddly is hard to tell in a scary shelter environment (and they were generally unspayed girls which doesn't help). But like I said before, Angieluv is very good at seeing the potential in rabbits. I'm currently covered in Oberon fur from snuggling the big guy while he's molting.:p

Latest posts

Back