Lacy is hiccuping?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caramelsoda

Reaction score
I just got my bunny, Lacy, on Sunday so we've almost had her for a week. I noticed at least 3 or 4 times that she hiccups. I don't know what this means. She doesn't seem to be in any pain.
Here's the details:

Name: Lacy

Sex: doe/female

Breed: English Spot - gold

Weight: I'm not sure how much she weighs and what weight is normal for an English Spot her age. I would guess around 3 or 4 pounds?? She seemed underweight when I got her from the breeder (I could really feel her bones- spine, ribs, hips, shoulders etc). She's gained some weight since she's been with me and I now I can't feel her bones nearly as much.

Diet: unlimited amount of Oxbow alfalfa based pellets and timothy hay (I'm getting her some alfalfa hay soon to replace this). She also gets fresh bottled water daily

Location: In our second floor apartment in western South Dakota, USA

Other: She poops, pees, and eats normally. Her pee seems normal but her poop sometimes seems a little soft (and very smelly). And she sometimes has really tiny poops (I heard that's not normal). When she starts hiccuping, she's laying down and it only lasts for a few seconds. I've only seen her do it 3 or 4 times. Besides the hiccuping, she is a very active and curious bunny and has free range of the apartment during most of the day while I'm there.
I really want to know if this is normal or not and what I should do. I seem to have the new mommy syndrome and every little thing worries me.

Here's the video of her- she starts hiccuping towards the end (that's my boyfriend in the background):
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRd_MGLb9YE[/ame]

She is ADORABLE!

Here is another bunny with hiccups:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSIkipInd28[/ame]

I have seen it on Muffin once before, but it would be good to have the vet take a listen to Lacy's heart and lungs since she has not yet been to the vet. Hiccups can sometimes be more like gasping for air, which would be a serious problem. From the video it looks a lot like normal hiccups to me, but you can't be sure without a vet check.

Latest posts

Back