Labelled As A Dutch Dwarf

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GinChinSing

Reaction score
I'm not too concerned about breed, but it's one of those things that's nice to know. Jumper was labelled as a Dutch Dwarf, but he obviously does not have the Dutch pattern. He is on the small side, but is still pretty young. Age is not known. I'm not great at rabbit breeds yet, but I'm guessing he is a Netherland Dwarf instead. What do you think?

I can take better photos if needed.

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1762.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

I'm not familiar with netherland coloring but I know with dwarf hotot's sometimes the dutch gene will pop up in a litter and the baby will get a splotchy pattern and some will get something closer to dutch looks. So that could be a dutch gene coming through. Maybe someone more familiar with netherlands will know.

I just have to say, I can't get over that picture of your bun balanced on that water bottle. Lol, that has to be the most agile rabbit I've ever seen.

LOL I am almost positive that is a broken blue polish rabbit.

Here is a picture of one of my moms babies that is a broken black polish
MP1.jpg

Definitely not a Dutch! And doesn't look full Dwarf either, they have very tiny ears and shorter bodies.

He doesn't look like a purebred to me, probably a mix of a couple breeds. If the water bottle picture is true to size, he probably does have some dwarf in him though. The maximum show weight for Netherland Dwarfs is 2.5 lbs. so they are pretty small (looks like he is too).

The color is broken blue though. That is for sure! :)

True, could be Polish. I considered that but figured if he was somewhere that labeled him "Dutch Dwarf," the chances of a normal breeding were slimmer. LOL

If it helps, he is a pet shop rabbit. He was probably brought in by the same person who bred my Holland lop. Supposedly, he was an "aggressive" rabbit when put into the rabbit cage in the store. Except for always wanting to run around and not wanting to be put on his back, he is not aggressive. I think he just wanted to do what all male buns want to do when they hit maturity.

After looking closer at Netherlands, I do agree that his ears are too long. I've had him since August 15th and he went from 811 grams to 975 grams as of today. Here are a few more photos.

IMG_2093.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2070.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

XD that picture of him pushing the cat bed cracks me up.

Hmmm definitely not quite right for a netherland. His ears are too long and he looks a little too stream lined for a netherland. Those long front legs. My netherland (even tho he is not show quality) has quite the stubby legs and rounded body.

Lol. He is something. Every time I go into the room he hops up onto his water bottle. I sort of hope he doesn't get much bigger because it's just too cute and I don't wan to have to find a bigger water bottle so he can keep doing it.

He actually pushed the cat bed off the dresser. It got wedged between the dresser and turtle cage and after he hopped on it a few times, it slowly sank to the floor. I had to chase him through the room so I could finish taking pictures.

I guess we can just call him a mutt for now.

I want to say that he might have a little Mini Rex in him. I do not know why, something about him just makes me want to say it. He also looks like me might have some polish in him.

Seriously guys, this rabbit looks more like a Polish than anything else. He doesn't have a fur for a mini Rex. Normal adult weight for a Polish is 2 1/2 lbs. This is the broken blue Polish buck that I used to have...

14192_292317_460000000.jpg

they could be brothers!

When I said Mini Rex I was not refering to the fur AT ALL. I think that it might have been something to do with the face and ears. I am not experienced with Polish though.

I would say broken blue polish. I've heard folks around me call what was actually a polish a dutch dwarf cross, but then again folks around me don't care what they cross so long as they can sell the offspring(You should see the mutt rabbits they try to pass off as a new zealand meat rabbit- it was a friggin harlequin!)

Ok so your rabbit looks exactly like my friends and I've always wondered what his breed was!

The pet store assistant said he was a english spot with a mix of something else but she wasn't quite sure what.

ajohal wrote:
Ok so your rabbit looks exactly like my friends and I've always wondered what his breed was!

The pet store assistant said he was a english spot with a mix of something else but she wasn't quite sure what.

A lot of people seem to jump to English Spot because of the broken pattern. Many breeds are accepted in broken though. :)

Latest posts

Back