KW Cages

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gussy

Reaction score
I've looked at their website and they have somenice cages. Unfortunately, I'm worried that they only looknice in pictures. Anybody here owns a cage from those guys?

Thanks!

Hey there!

Im not sure what a KW cage is, but IMO there really arent too manystore bought cages that are big enough for bunnies. Have you seen theNIC condos that a lot of us have made? They are so cheap to make andvery roomy!

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15348&forum_id=21

Heres one I made a while back:

Bunnies091.jpg

EDIT: Wow, I looked at their site and its like 180 bucks for a cage thats not even all that big!

Looks really nice, but what did you use for the flooring?

I think I need something with wheels. The cage can only beplaced in the living room but the bunnies don't like it there as thefloor is hard wood, plus there are lots of wires. What we dowhen we get home is wheel the cage to our study/computer room and letthem hang around there. When the feel like going to thetoilet, they just jump right back to the cage.

Yes, I know it's expensive that's why I really have to think hard aboutthis. I also keep keep saltwater reef tanks, and compared tothose...I find bunnies really fun and don't burn a hole in my wallet!

The flooring is made of something calledcoroplast, its like plastic cardboard and can be found at sign stores.You just buy a huge sheet and cut it to size.

The shelter where I volunteer makes something like this one wheels.They use plywood for the base, attach four wheels on the bottom, thenline the plywood with stick on tiles for the part the bunnies stand onso it cleans easily. I might be able to get you the plans if youreinterested (and handy) ;-)

The coroplast isnt too slippery for the bunnies,but you can put down a few straw mats for traction. If you use stick ontiles, it is more slippery. Some people use peg board, but that is alittle more difficult to keep clean.

I don't know if I can use those bath tubnon-stick stickers on that board. I need to check them out asthis will save me lots of money.

Hey, isn't it midnight where you're at right now?

Thanks!

When we made our NIC cage for Socks we built awooden platform for the bottom. Since he is in the livingroomwe needed to be able to pull out the cage from the wall to be able toclean. It has 5 wheels underneath, one on each corner and onein the middle for support. The platform is covered withsticky tiles and we put a small rug down so wouldn't slide.It is edged with corner round and small screws hold the NIC panels tothe floor so we can lift the whole thing if we want! It worksgreat for us, so much so that we are going to do the same to the otherNIC cage in the Bunny Room.:)

KW Cages make well-built quality wire cages.Their cages are typically used by breeders, so they aren't as big asmany house bunny people prefer. NIC cages are nice, but it sounds likeit wouldn't work in your situation, as they aren't easy to transport.

If you got the largest wire cage you could manage and put it oncasters, as long as your bunnies get plenty of out of cage time, I amsure they would be very happy. If you are worried about the wire bottomon their feet, you can get grass mats, ceramic tile, or cage rests(also sold by KW, I think) to give them a place to get off the wire.

Gussy- the levels are made of NIC as well, andthen covered in carpet. They will hold up to around 25 pounds(we did a test when we built the cages) withoutbending aslong as you build/anchor them properly. TheheaviestSocks is going to be is about 3.5 pounds so noworries. We have an identical cage for our other baby...he isalmost 5 pounds but the shelves are very sturdy and don't budge evenwith his incessant jumping! :D

This is a pic of the other one we built for Dandi. We ziptied it too for extra support but we can totally disassemble it intoabout 5 pieces and move it in minutes if we have too. Thisone doesn't have the platform on the bottom and I have found it is alot harder to moveit to clean...so we are planning on making a platformfor Dandys cage as well!

Oh God, I wishthey came thatsize!:D I usually go to Home Depot or Rona here...they comein strips about 24 inches by 36-48. Easiest thing to do is goto a remnant store and find bits and pieces close to the size youwant. We just cut them down, trim them and stick themin. If they need to be washed we either steam clean them orif the little buggers have done a real number on them we hose them downin the basement work sink and dry them in the dryer for a bit.

If you need to make a bigger one like the square one on the top shelfof Dandi's cage, we used a bit of carpet tape underneath to hold thetwo together. Just make sure if you're going to use carpetyour bunn isn't a chewer! Once the carpetis chewedthere is nothing keeping them from getting their foot caught!Luckily none of ours are big chewers so we are usuallyOK!:D(we will overlook the diggin episode that Dandipulled!);)

It is important to make sure if you are going to build the shelves likewe did that you ziptie them at all the joints so they support theweight! We set up our cages so that the weight is distributedthroughout the cage between the shelves!

Our old cage was made entirely of wood. We usedthose peel and stick tiles and they worked great. We layed down somecarpet so he couldn't slide.

Latest posts

Back