Kleenmama's Hayloft

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almi

Reaction score
Okay so here's the scoop.

I was ordering my hay, rabbit pellets, and guinea pig pellets in bulk from Oxbow before, because I could get 50 lbs of each thing for $30 (which is cost, cost = the price of it minus shipping and markup) where I worked. I no longer work at that pet store, so it will now cost me more than twice that much to order these things.

Anyway, the last 50 lb bag of Oxbow rabbit pellets we got...was tainted or something. I'm pretty sure it killed one of my rabbits, made another sick, and a third rabbit began having seizures. I simply switched to a different brand (I got some Wild Harvest crap from Walmart because the one was getting super skinny), and all of this went away! (Minus poor Emmy of course...she's still gone... :( )

So I didn't really know what to do. I just started feeding them the Oxbow guinea pig pellets, since the ONLY difference between the two was the added vitamin C in the pig pellets. And of course they've been fine...but my question is, will added vitamin C in their pellets cause any damage if I feed it long term? I would think not...

So then my question is, can I just feed the pigs and the rabbits Kleenmama's stuff? It's the best priced stuff I can get, along with the hay, too, and the hay is super good quality, probably as good as Oxbow when I got that in bulk.

https://www.kmshayloft.com/pellets.html

And the ingredients in Oxbow's food:

http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/fortified_food;jsessionid=0530AF0FF78B932BE1F9C439A2953FB2.vipa-02a?node=1519

Please let me know what you think, I've gotta order food really soon!

I just started to order Kleenmama's hay and I'm really satisfied with it. I have also ordered oxbow hay for years and am satisfied with certain varieties but find the timothy in large quantitiesto be dusty although my rabbits like it..

If you feel that a bag of Oxbow pelletswas tainted you should notify the company. I hope that you saved the bag and would have the lot number etc to give them. Many members on this site feed oxbow BBT and would be very interested if their is a bad lot out there. You can get the contact number off their website and talk directly to a person ..I think it is 1-800-249-0366 (Off the top but not sure)

I think that kleenmama's pellets look fine but you should feed the rabbit the timothy pellet and the guinea pig the alfalfa

If I read it right the guinea pig pellet has a way higher protein content than the timothy pellet. and it looks as if the vit C content is equal which puzzles me a bit.

Your question as to whether you could feed your rabbit the guinea pig variety I would answer as probably not as an adult rabbit doesn't need an 18% protein level in an alfalfa pellet

You could also look at some other pellets like Sweet meadows which has a timothy based pellet.

I know I should,

However, when I opened the bag, the only tag on it (which mostly just listed what it was and the ingredients) came off with it, and for some reason I wasn't smart enough to keep that. Also, since I got it for cost, they don't put it through the register at the pet store so I have no proof that I bought it. The best I could do would be to call them and let them know, and then tell them the approximate time I got it (which was probably like 5-6 months ago).

Uhh...did you scroll down and look at the timothy on KM's? That's what I would feed BOTH my pigs and rabbits, as cavies need a timothy-based pellet as adults as well. The timothy based pellet has 14% protein, 2.5% fat, and 20-25% fiber. The only difference betweenit and rabbit feed is the added vitamin C, and I'm wondering if added vitamin C would be bad for the rabbits or not. I already know that rabbits need less protein as adults and need timothy-based. =P

I didn't know the timothy base pellet was for guinea pigs/

I would do 2 things I would first pm ra7751 with the link from kleenmama's and ask him (Randy)about a timothy pelletmade a guinea pig with vit c in it
ask him (Randy) if thoses ingredients could be given to rabbits ( I don't know if there are other essential vitamins and minerals that would only specifically be in rabbit pellets) and also email Linda from Kleenmama's and ask her about it.

I honestly :?don't know...

As you've already said... Her pellets are made for guinea pigs, not rabbits. You'd be far better off feeding pellets made with rabbits' nutritional requirements in mind. (i feed Sweet Meadow timothy pellets here.)

Latest posts

Back