Kitteh Owners!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kherrmann3

Reaction score
I need advice on kittehs. Will wants one, I'm "meh" on the subject. I don't really care. I just want to know everyone's advice for kitty food, and how to minimize kitteh smell. I hate cat smell. Also, any shedding/brushing/grooming advice? For those of you with clawed kitties (that stay inside) how to you prevent them from destroying things?

Any information would be appreciated! :D

Oh, you came to the right place..........

DO NOT GET A KITTEN! LOL!

We got Diesel last summer, and he has his claws, and uses them! he has pestered the bunnies horribly.... we cannot let them out when he is out and visa versa.... unless we are right there. He actually has a big NIC cage in Lexi's room because of this..... He has bitten the bunnies, he actually is probably the reason Tony's eye is foggy - we think he got him with a claw.

Dry food only is what I feed - no mess, no smell......

Fresh step litter...... clean it daily or you get smells.......

Good luck with that.......

Yes that kitty litter is the best I dont keep a cat on a regular basis. But I foster kittens. If you dont like the puppy stage you will hate the kitten stage where a puppy cant get on the bed or counter at first boy a kitten can.

They chew and make a mess in the litter box. Just like dogs i would adopt a full grown cat from a rescue. Mabye a year or so old.

But the joy of a kitten is when they get scared and come running for you. And they look at you with those huge eyes like mom save me. Or the first time they crawl in bed with you. for warmth.

There are pros and cons I would personal rather get a full grown cat.

But I would get a full grown rabbit dog cat mouse what ever. The baby stage is the worst.

I feed wellness kitten to all my fosters they sell it at petco But I get it from my mom and pop store. I feed wet until they leave to for there new home but if I owned one I would always feed wet.

I feed wellness dry with parie wet or marrick wet. But most of the kittens I have are bottle feeders. for the first like 3 weeks so I wein and all.

Get a lot of toys a lot they will loose them. Then one day they will all be out and your like what happened here.

I kennel train all my kittens. Most people thinks that crewl but they get used to it. Because they are like puppys they dont know how to act tell you teach them. And they get kenneled at night and when I am not home or cant watch them. get a toy like a stuffed animal thats there size it will help them with comfert.

They will love that toy for life if you sleep with it for a night so it has your smell.

If you get a boy he can be fixed as early as 4 months or 2 pounds which ever comes first they start spraying young. A girl the same 4 months or 2 pounds.

Even if you only have one cat i buy the multibull cat litter so you never get the smell

I'm not stupid enough to get a kitten! LOL! I've been bitten and scratched by kittens one too many times! The kitty we were looking at is 3 years. We are looking into a kitty preferably within the 1-5 year mark.

Thank you for the replies! :D

Has anyone ever trained their kitty to use a toilet? I mean, a people toilet? I've heard of people doing it, but I've never heard much feedback on the matter. Would that smell? I would think so, especially if it's been floatin' around for a day!

I have never done or tried it But I heard that people will buy like a round bowl and put it in the tiolet seat. Then one day they just take it out???????????????/

I am not sure but thats what i have been told.

NAW COME ON! Kittens rock!!!

I've had four cats and they've all been great! I've had Gingerears since she was a kitten and she's so over friendly. I also had Jet as a kitten and he was a bit skittish but none of my cats have ever gotten the claws out (except one time when we attempted to wash them lol). We took in Calico when she was a stray and she loves sitting on our laps.

Cats are very independent (but like all animals, they have different personalities) and most won't destroy anything (2 of our cats are fully indoor). Some breeds need more attention so don't get one of them or they might take out their annoyance on the furniture (they can be great though).

If you're worried about shedding, obviously get a short hair. Some cats love grooming, some are just meh, some hate it. Zoom grooms are good.

My friend's cat is successfully toilet trained to sit on a human toilet. They are really happy with that but we just have kitty litter.

I don't notice the smell other than when I change the kitty litter.

We feed Whiskas wet and dry food. It's up to you whether you want to feed an all dry food diet.

Get a scratching post definitely, a good one. At the start they might take time getting used to one but it's a great investment to save your furniture!

Cats make great pets!!!!!!!!

Well, as long as you clean the litter like...atleast every two days, the smell should be fine.If you get lazy though, you will definately regret it.

Tobey sheds a lot! he'sa long haired cat, so he had many long hairs everywhere. He hates to be brushed, so I couldn't fully brush him all the way. I get a pile of hair everytime though with just a few strokes, so yeah. He would tear my arms apart everytime I would try and brush him.

I do bath Tobey though. He doesn't mind baths for some reasons. He just sits there and lets me scrub him clean. It's really weird, but I love that part about him.

I feed my cat dry food too...and I've given him wet before as a treat, and he loved it. Tobey also loves treats. I was able to teach him a few tricks and he loves doing them for treats.

Tobey doesn't destroy anything at all with his claws, and he's never tried. I do have a scratching post for him, which he uses.

Um...my cat loves to jump on things, and knocks things down in the process so, so I would watch out for that with your future cat.

I'll post again if I can think of anything else...

Cats kind of remind me of bunnies- They're independent, they'll snuggle with you on their own terms, and they will tear up the furniture if they don't have someplace else to scratch.

Like bunnies, their diet is often misunderstood by the average pet owner. They need food with NO by-products or corn in it, and they really should be on a wet food or raw diet. Here's a fantastic site with tons of articles on cat care; be sure to read the article "Why Cats Need Canned Food"!

http://www.littlebigcat.com

The general rule of thumb is to avoid buying foods you would find at Wal-Mart or a grocery store. Science Diet, Meow Mix, and anything bright and colorful should not be fed.

If you want to protect your furniture, make sure you clip the kitty's nails often, and you can provide a scratching post if needed. If absolutely necessary, you can buy Softpaws for the cat; they're little slip-on claw boot things that are a humane alternative to declawing [which, by the way, you should never do ><].

In my experience, the long haired cats shed less than the short haired kitties. Either way, be sure you brush the cat out at least once a week; nothing like waking up to a big ol' hairball the cat yaked upon the carpet the night before.

Honestly, the kitten stage is my favorite. :p Kittens are just so much fun, and it was great being able to raise my Smokey cat around the bunnies. However, it was a lot of work keeping him in line, and the kitten shots were pretty expensive.

Have fun with your future kitty! Seriously, cats are great fun. I always thought I was a dog person, until my Smokey walked into my life- Now I can't imagine living without a kitty. :D

Holly

The whole "owning a kitty" thing is still in the planning phase. I don't know if we are going to do it or not. I've been haunting Craigslist for adult, speutered, and possibly declawed kitties. I don't necessarily condone declawing, but if it is already done, I can't do much about it. I was scared of cats for the longest time because my neighbor's cat scratched me across the face when I was little. I was TERRIFIED of them. Will has to be able to afford the cat, this is not my adventure, it's his. :p

How is Iams or Eukanuba as far as kitty foods go? I thought that neither were too good, but a girl I work with (who is a cat nut) says they are the best thing to get. Discuss... :p

Iam no way the other I have never seen the ingredient list.

I would stay away from anything you cn buy at wal mart any thing that says animal by product. Is a no go and thats for any thing cat or dog. Animal by product are cats dogs and many other things.

At pet co they sell wellness that is the best of the best I still hate the fact they sold out to pet co but what can I do. Zi whi peek is good but its like 100 bucks a bag.

I would feed wellness or parie.

http://www.naturesvariety.com/

This you will have to find a specialty pet shop

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/

you can get this at petco

http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/tikicat.html

This is a can food I highly recomded. If I get a older kitten that wont eat anything they eat this.

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/

This is a great food also

http://www.merrickpetcare.com/

Thios would be the last food I would buy and it would be at last resort.

All of these food also have dog and I feed all of them to my dogs on top of raw. Well expect the teki cat

A litter box needs to be cleaned MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY ;). Think about it....we don't want to crap/pee in a toilet that's already got crap/pee in it....and neither do our kitties.

As far as food goes, I was feeding Eagle Pack Holistics and my kitties really loved it. I recently made the switch to "Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul" because it is only $11 per 6lbs instead of almost $20 per 6lbs for the EP...I couldn't afford spending $40 a month on the cats alone just for their food when I could still be feeding a "quality" food, but for cheaper.

My kitties do not destory things and they still have their claws. Keeping them trimmed down is the key. If they scratch at you and leave a mark...it's time to cut their nails.

Search for the perfect kitty, too! You really want the perfect one if this is "your" first kitty. I was never a fan of cats, hated them...actually....then we got Juju, our perfect kitty who acts like a dog, and I am totally in love with my keekee :blushan:.

JadeIcing wrote:
Allergic to cats. :cry1:

Nakie Ralphie has one word for you....

SPHINX!!

ETA to add adorable picture!!!

sphynx%20kittens%20bansheeb_6wg3.jpg

undergunfire wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:
Allergic to cats. :cry1:

Nakie Ralphie has one word for you....

SPHINX!!

ETA to add adorable picture!!!

sphynx%20kittens%20bansheeb_6wg3.jpg
um... can i point out, people are not allergic to the fur, its the SALIVSA!!!!!!! they do lick there fur yes, but that ^^^^^(the cute cats) still will give you problems.#
:p

I just relized you said cat yes go for it and yes keep nails trim and you wont have much of a issue. And if you get a cat tree your problem are solve between teaching them to use it and cat nip on it.

You can build one yourself for like 20 bucks a nice one I had built 3. With some carpet that people had over cut 10 bucks the string from wal mart that people use to tie things down with and went to a contruction site and asked if I could have there scraps of wood.

The only real expisive thing is the round piece of wood I had to go to home depo cause I could not find any.

I did the the wood base painted it. And put carpet over that. Cut the round pole into 1 1/2 foot sections and 3 foot sections. With a round table saw. Took string and wound it tighty with wood glue and specialty screws on the small round poll. And then took one of the planks i got from the concrutions site and cover that with 2 layers of carpet. and nailed it on top.

Then the big pole I did 1 foot carpet 1 foot string 1 foot carpet then covered the other plank with 2 layers of carpet and hungs toys off the long one and nailed both to the base it was would and 3 cats used these at the shelter for like 6 months then I lost touch so I dont know if they still use them.

They averaged about 20 bucks a piece.

Latest posts

Back