kits in below zero weather

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fire22

Reaction score
I have a litter of six kits that are 5 days old. It is -6 Fahrenheitout right now and could be -14 to-marrow night. They are in a shed out of the wind and the doe made a nice nest in the wood nest box. They are covered in a big mound of fur that she pulled. I also put some plastic around the cage to stop drafts. Will they be ok out there?

fire22 wrote:
I have a litter of six kits that are 5 days old. It is -6 Fahrenheitout right now and could be -14 to-marrow night. They are in a shed out of the wind and the doe made a nice nest in the wood nest box. They are covered in a big mound of fur that she pulled. I also put some plastic around the cage to stop drafts. Will they be ok out there?
I wish I could answer your question - but here in Southwest Texas - I struggle with heat (in the summer) instead of cold in the winter.

There is a good chance the kits would be ok - but - I tend to err on the side of caution and so I would probably bring them in if possible. I wish I knew more about rabbits and cold weather!

Peg

Thanks Peg I just went out and checked on them and they are warm. They have some fur already so hopefully they will be ok. I know I wouldn't wantto spend the night out there it is cooold!!!!!!!!!!! I don't really have any thing to put them in tonight for a cage or I would move them to the garage.

From what I hear from other breeders that deal with the snow & cold weather, as long as there is no drafts that can get to them - they'll be fine. I also hear that they will put extra hay in the nestbox and in momma's cage - for the added warmth factor.

This is not my personal experience - just what I've heard. I haven't had to deal with any severe weather issues here on the San Diego coast... mild winters, nice springs, warm summers with the cool ocean breeze, and warm falls with no ocean breeze when I finally have to break outthe fanstoensure goodair circulation & coolness.

I don't take the chance. I live in Wisconsin and it has been a very nice winter up until a few days ago, now we are suffering at 10 below and then some. I'd bring them inside if you can.

Oh, I had a REALLY bad winter with my breeding. I lost a couple litters because of cold weather. If I were you, I'd buy a heat lamp. They're not that much, and they saved one of my litters from extinction (sp?) Yeah, mine were in a barn with fur all over them, too.

I always put a heat lamp on mine, just in case. It wouldn't hurt, and it could make a big difference, especially in weather like that.

Back