Kit was eaten

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coelho007

Reaction score
Found a kit out of the nest eaten today, does anyone know of a mother doing that? I found a different kit few days ago out of the nest and very cold. I warmed her up and placed back in. If anyone sees a trend here please let me know.

Attachments

• B594CD80-8018-4A9C-9B30-8CFEC3C2C10E.jpeg
    B594CD80-8018-4A9C-9B30-8CFEC3C2C10E.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 21
If the doe ate it, it was probably dead.

Kits out of the nest: How does your setup/nestbox look like? A wall or lid the doe has to go over reduces the risk of kits being dragged outside on the teat, or wandering off. In nature the nest is at the end of a tunnel, downhill is always the way back, if that's not the case with a nestbox it can be a trap.

Predators: You wouldn't believe what small spaces rats fit through, some years ago I lost a whole litter to one, single rat. A wildlife camera is a very useful tool to see what's going on, you don't see rats - when you see them you have tons of them.

Thank you for the insight…. I think the doe ate it. Temperatures have dropped from 50s to the 20s and back up to 50/60 after Wednesday. The nest is near the edge of the box and yes it has a lip to it. I might move the litter towards the back.

A kit can still get dragged out of the box if it’s attached firmly enough to mom. Once out it’s susceptible to anything small enough to squeeze thru wire, including rats.

Latest posts

Back