kit missing a back foot!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovelylops

Reaction score
yesterday my holland lop kindled five kits! later in the day i went to check on them and noticed that one is missing a back foot :( !it appears to have been chewed off rather than born without it. other than the foot it seemed completely fine. im and going to put antibiotic on it today if he made it through the night, is there anything else i can do? what is this kits chance at surviving?ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404827274.098839.jpg
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404827298.984660.jpg
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404827317.400549.jpg
i cant really tell but his other foot looks kinda swollen too?

ok so i just checked on them and all five kits are alive :) ! i didnt end up putting anything on three footed kit because it seems to have started to heal, it is now a scab. i tried to take pictures but they are very wiggly!ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404828411.215185.jpg
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404828448.636505.jpg
also they seemed fed however i held my doe unside down to allow the runt to nurse alittle more.

That looks like an injury, and the other back foot doesn't look very good either. I wonder if the doe had to pull him out when she birthed him, because if it was the back legs she grabbed that would explain it.

majorv that could have been what happened, the other back foot looks better today but it is hard to get pics. he is just as active and healthy as the other kits.

Poor little guy, I think you are just going to have to wait and see how he develops, I do worry that if the other foot is compromised too that he may start to fall behind as his other siblings become more active.
I don't like to be the one to bring it up but if he does survive, what are your plans for him? assuming you would be petting out the others, I think it would be rather hard petting out a disabled rabbit, are you prepared to keep him? I only ask because I know people in your situation that would be culling him now.
I however am a sucker for ones that are hard done by and would be giving him a chance and if he did survive I would keep him as a pet so I knew he would get all the special type of care he will most likely need throughout his life.

cookiesandcream you are right, all i can do now is wait and see. thank you for bringing it up, i was planing on selling them as show rabbits however i know he is no longer showable. i would love to keep him! but i dont know if i have room for another cage, if i can get him/her neutered or spayed i may be able to keep him in with my other spayed doe but ill have to see if that will work out. if i cannot find a very caring home i am prepared to keep him. i also think his other foot looks better today but couldnt get a good pic.

just an update on his other foot, it does have a cut on it but it looks alot better than yestrday! it also seems to be healing fast, it is still alittle red but not swollen or anything bad looking.

That is great that he's other foot is looking better, keep us updated, I would love to know how he gets on

just checked on them and the injured kit is doing great! he pooed alittle and is very active and fat! however two of the smaller kits looked too skinny so i tried to help them nurse but the runt is just so small and weak he couldnt attach to a teat to get much milk :( i have a feeling he may not make it but i will try to feed him again tonight. three of the kits are looking great though!

i am leaving my job at a dairy goat farm and brought a gallon of milk home, so tonight i will be tring to feed the two little kits tonight with an eye dropper. any suggestions are welcome! i know i need to give only a drop or two at a time and i will warm up the milk for them.

when i got home the runt had already passed :( i am glad he didnt suffer long. i fed the other smalll kit from the dropper but it is still so wrinkly. it drank some then kinda just fell asleep. if it is still alive in the morning i will feed it again. it did pee twice, idk if that is a good sign.

of the four kits two of them were nice and fat and two were small and wrinkled when i found them this morning. one of the small ones i managed to get nice and fat again with the goat milk, however the othe small one just about died in my hands while feeding it :( hoping for the best in the morning with the other three.

Latest posts

Back