Keeping your bunnies warm.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessa1487

Reaction score
My rabbits have their cage out in ourpantry. We leave the door open to let the heat in, but it's stillpretty chilly out there. With the weather getting colder it's a slightconcern of mine how warm they'll really be. What are some of the bestways of keeping rabbits warm?

Hey Nessa, here's a link to Warming A Rabbit with lots of info (courtesy of Carolyn). :)

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=16155&forum_id=17

(PS: Which reminds me, I really must start a new baby thread.Stay tooned!)
babyhaha.gif

sas

Hope no one minds me hijacking this thread butit is on the same subject. My rabbit is kept outsideand although I know she's perfectly happy and warm at the moment, I'mso very tempted to bring her indoors at night now that the temperatureis getting colder (more for my own peace of mind I suppose).Is it possible to keep her indoors at night in a house cage and thenlet her outside in the run and hutch during the day?

I'm concerned that she would still be able to grow her winter coat ifshe was inside during the night though we have a place with quite acool temperature. We've talked about keeping her indoors permanentlybut without putting down the details, it just wouldn't be practical atthe moment.

Thanks, Amanda

nangobi wrote:
Hope no one minds me hijacking this thread but it ison the same subject. My rabbit is kept outside and although Iknow she's perfectly happy and warm at the moment, I'm so very temptedto bring her indoors at night now that the temperature is gettingcolder (more for my own peace of mind I suppose). Is itpossible to keep her indoors at night in a house cage and then let heroutside in the run and hutch during the day?

I'm concerned that she would still be able to grow her winter coat ifshe was inside during the night though we have a place with quite acool temperature. We've talked about keeping her indoors permanentlybut without putting down the details, it just wouldn't be practical atthe moment.

Thanks, Amanda

Honestly the temperature change from coming inside and going backoutside is more harmful to a rabbit than being in the cold all thetime. Although it is tempting to worry about them being coldoutsideshe will be fine believe me, they are as tough as oldboots bunnies!;) So long as she has a well sheltered hutch and lots ofhay or straw to snuggle up in she will be just fine at night.:)

Thanks for the reassurance Bunnys_rule 63

When we first had Bugsy I was outside with her for an hour every nightmaking sure she was safe, secure and warm. I'm a little morerelaxed now but still feel bad when I take her out at night after anevening in the house with us playing.

Can't believe she's had such an effect on me.

Amanda

Hi nangobi,
As bunnys_rule63 said, it would probably just confuse your rabbit, andmay be more harmful than productive. If you think it is going to beparticuarly chilly one night, you could always give your rabbit anextra blanket or another handful of hay for their bedding ;) As long asshe is undercover and out of the rain and the worst winds, she'll befine.

Rach & Ollz.

So you think crawling into the hutch at 3 in the morning with a hot water bottle and snuggling up might be a bit extreme?

Just jesting.... thanks for your comments and reassurance.Bugsy's been running around us like a lunatic tonight baiting us toplay and just being too cute for words. Now it's late andI've got to take her out to the hutch - and it feels so cold outthere.

I tried giving her a blanket but she wasn't impressed at all! I giveher extra straw but she takes it all out of the bedding area. My friendbought Bugsy a cat bed (exactly he same as a rabbit beds I saw in Petsat Homeanyway) but she's not sure about it at all.

Back