keeping just one rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manda

Reaction score
i have posted before on considering getting a new rabbit.
seems like nearly everyday i have to fight off the urge to get another bunny. someone wanna tell me why im holdin back!?
are rabbits happier with other rabbits?
how do you feel about keeping rabbits alone?
some of the reasons why i want another rabbit is so i can hold it alot, and hopefully it would get used to it, and enjoy being held. when i got Ryo i was too scared to break her to try to get her to like it. and i want another rabbit to trust train. i love that feeling of having a scared bunny really come around, and be your buddy.
however the MAIN reason i want another rabbit is to keep Ryo company. she doesnt play with toys and seems bored often. i get her out usually 4 hours a day, and up to 12 hrs when i dont have to work. but most of the time she just lays around.

Rabbits are social animals because in the wild, they live in a warren with at least five other rabbits, soyes, rabbits can be happier with a companion. They can also live happily by themselves, as long as they are provided with the right care and they get to play outside of their cages for a considerable amount of time. It sounds like you let Ryo out to run a lot, so it might be that she would like the companion ofanother rabbit. If you do get another rabbit, you should take it easy when bonding them and getting them spayed/neutered is always very helpful. This link has some very good tips on bonding rabbits. Good Luck:http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12072&forum_id=17

~Josh

manda wrote:
are rabbits happier with other rabbits?
how do you feel about keeping rabbits alone?
some of the reasons why i want another rabbit is so i can hold it alot, and hopefully it would get used to it, and enjoy being held. when i got Ryo i was too scared to break her to try to get her to like it. and i want another rabbit to trust train. i love that feeling of having a scared bunny really come around, and be your buddy.
First of all - I have never had just "one" bunny - so I am a bit biased here. But one thing I've learned is that each rabbit is different (I'm a breeder and have many rabbits).

I have some rabbits that like to be alone and they want their own space. They're territorial and will play ok with other rabbits - but they want THEIR cage to be THEIRS.

Then I have some rabbits that like to be together. I have a few rabbits that are living as "house rabbits" in my bedroom. They are living like a community and while once in a while tempers might flare for a minute and a chase erupt for about 5-10 seconds - I'd say that for 23 hours and 59minutes of the day - things are peaceful....and they really rarely have little chasing sprees.

I don't know where you are wanting to get another rabbit from - if it is a shelter....take your bunny with you and let HER pick the bunny. If you are going to get one from a breeder - I think I'd call ahead of time and see about bringing my bunny along too to pick someone out.

It sounds like you really have two reasons for getting another bunny - partly being her sake - partly being yours. Now here comes the question...

If you get another rabbit - will you still be able to give your first rabbit the attention she need and deserves? Or will you wind up so much in tune with the 2nd rabbit that you'll be tempted to neglect this rabbit (and it can happen...the temptation at least).

Anyway, I like having more than one rabbit - others don't. Its a matter of knowing yourself and your rabbit's needs!

Peg

All I can say is that all rabbits are different but the best thing we ever did for Jordi is get her a companion. Some rabbits just do not like bunny companions, some find a soul mate.

Definitely make sure they are both spayed/neutered and that you introduce them very slowly in neutral territory.

IMG_2022.jpg

PS Check out the snuggle buns thread!

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11794&forum_id=1

i would still give Ryo her attention like always. what worries me is if they didnt get along well and i had to have two cages. i live in a studio apartment now with not much room. i have room if the rabbits would live in the same cage together (not at first of course) and have there out time together like i was describing with Ryo. i would like it if i did find a good breeder who was understanding and i could bring Ryo with me to pick out the other bunny. and if they wouldnt get along i would have to give the bunny back. i am unsure how the breeder would feel about this...
i would deffinally ask first!
but i would feel horrible to get a little cute bunny and have it for a couple of weeks and come to the conclusion that they are not getting along and i need to return the baby...
i feel that is unneccisary stress on the baby bun.

its called "IWANTITIS..." and it mostly consists of " I want a rabbit!!"

My rabbits are happier alone then together... I find they do binkys and chill out more that way but it depends on the rabbit you have.

You can keep a rabbit alone just make sure that you are giving it ample time to run around and dont let it get bored. Keep LOTS of toys and change them every week.

It sounds in your case that you need another bunny to keep your rabbit going though. Some rabbit would rather sleep than doing anything else and need a helpful push underneath them to get them going! If you get another rabbit dont forget your pictures!!

If you do decide to get Ryo a friend, they will still need separate cages until they are bonded. Is Ryo spayed? Bonding goes much easier when the buns don't have crazy hormones making them aggressive. Another point is that although a baby bun might really like Ryo, often their opinions change when they hit puberty. I would personally adopt a spayed/neutered adult.

If you are interested in helping a bunny come out of his shell and become more confident, I really recommend shelter bunnies or rescues. I've had good experiences with this.

I do think that many rabbits do better with a bunny friend, but also keep in mind that bonding can be hard and can be stressful on all three of you.

I have a neutered male and spayed female bonded and also 2 neutered males. I would say they are happier bonded but that you lose a lot of your personal relationship with them if they have another rabbit . The House Rabbit Society in Wi. will allow you to bring your rabbit to them and allow your rabbit to pick the rabbit that he/she would like to be with. I personally think that this is a great idea because their is no guarantee that the bunny you will bring home from a breeder, rescue or petstore is going to get along with your rabbit. It is easier to bond an altered pet than unaltered......P.S. I also have 2 neutered males that don't have partners...those are the two that get most of the affection from me.

Like everyone said it depends on the rabbit/owner. Shadow would rather be on his own. When he was in the pet store he was playing by himself, and away from his brothers. He was paying more attention to the customers. So for me persoanlly having just Shadow is good enough. But it really depends on you and your bun.

yes Ryo is spayed.
if it was compleatly up to me i would get another bunny in a heart beat.
but i guess there is no way to know how Ryo would treat another rabbit until she interacts with one? or is it not "another rabbit" but a certin rabbits personality

The best way to know how Ryo would react is to take her for a "dating" session at a shelter. Many times it is a matter of finding rabbits that like each other. Some just have a hard time getting along. For example, Mocha would rather beat Fey and Sprite into little bunny pulps. She was a bit aggressive with Loki, who she now adores, but she wasn't vicious with him like she was with the girls.

Latest posts

Back