Keeping it clean

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amyshizzle

Reaction score
Ever since getting Rascal I've noticed I've been having a hard time keeping the area clean and he's just ONE bunny! lol So much hay, poop and fur EVERYWHERE! I try to pick up but it's so much all the time. Any advice on how to keep it clean? I have a rug underneath him so I could vacuum it, but we don't have good vacuums...I should buy myself a vacuum. I have been saying that though. Just not something I really want to spend my money on. haha But I need a good vacuum! I've just been picking up the rug and shaking it off outside, since I'd probably get yelled at for having hay in the vacuum. =/ What do you guys do to keep it clean? Especially those with multiple buns?

Even with a hay rack, my rabbits pull the hay everywhere in their enclosure. Poop "can" be fixed with litter box training, but even my rabbit who is litter boxed trained will poop outside his litter box. He's pee's in his litter box. Fur? Is your bunny a long haired? My lion head doesn't get fur anywhere, even if I brush him its less then a handful. I clean their pens everyday just to keep things tidy (sweep up the poops, wipe down the pens), thorough cleaning is about once a week.

I only have one bunny, and we have only had him a week...but I am in there sweeping up several times a day. If I go in the room to do something (he shares a room with my daughters) I just bend down and sweep up any mess he might of made. I usually just sweep up little poops from where he has been eating and he likes to make a mess with his food too! I do complete cleanings every morning when I get up, which includes refeeding...I have not changed the litter box since day 2 of getting him..it messed with his potty training so I have been leaving that be.

He's litter box trained but I think he likes to poop outside his box. Never pees outside though. He did when I had small box but I got a bigger one and had no problem with pee ever since. Yeah even when I brush him (he's short haired too!) he seems to get hair everywhere. =/ Oh well. I think I am going to have to start a regular cleaning schedule because I haven't had one, except with the litter box. I just did an awesome cleaning job right now though and redid his house. I added a dog crate to his x-pen to give him more space which I didn't know I even had!! lol I think he's going to love it! More cleaning but I don't care. =P

Thanks!

I used a 2ish gallon wet dry vac that I empty out every day after cleaning. I use clorox wipes and a broom to get the majority of stuff, but the vac picks up those extra bedding bits and the fur kicking around the rug. It occasionally clogs with hay, but if you get most of it with your hands first it works out.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
We use a 25 gallon shop vac. I clean daily, so, with six rabbits we need more capacity and only dump it once a week. Plus it's a lot harder to plug up the hose.
Do you use the poop for fertilizer considering you have 6 buns? I've been seeing tons of ads on craigslist for rabbit manure.

full-size Shop vacs are great but can be costly. There are alternatives though, they make smaller portable shopvacs but also ones called "bucket heads" they fit on top of a 5-gallon bucket. They are only $10, plus the bucket is about $2. It's a cost effective and easily managed (and stored) vacuum. You can find it at Home Depot and similar stores.

Latest posts

Back