Keeping healthy hocks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LavenderLopLover

Reaction score
Hi i raise and breed show holland lops! I'm always worried about my rabbits hocks and keeping them healthy. I house my rabbits in wire cages with EZ mats and i cut their nails 2-3 times a month. My rabbits get daily run time outdoors on the grass when weather permits. My cages are cleaned weekly and my trays are dumped 2x a week or more. Im not sure is there anything else i should do to keep their feet healthy? Ive heard some people a little bit of bare spot with a callus is okay??

Sounds like you are doing all you can. A small bare spot is okay, as long as it is not red, painful, scabbed or bleeding. It's fairly normal to see some of the fur smashed into a thick, protective clump where the rabbit puts their weight. Hollands tend to have wide, fluffy feet that don't get sore hocks very easily; however they are also very active rabbits, which can wear down their feet fur a bit quicker.

Sounds like you are doing all you can. A small bare spot is okay, as long as it is not red, painful, scabbed or bleeding. It's fairly normal to see some of the fur smashed into a thick, protective clump where the rabbit puts their weight. Hollands tend to have wide, fluffy feet that don't get sore hocks very easily; however they are also very active rabbits, which can wear down their feet fur a bit quicker.
Thank you! Some bunnies of mine have a small little bare spot and they haven't seemed uncomfortable but i'd rather do things to prevent issues before issues happen.

Latest posts

Back