Keeping bun from our Christmas tree

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jen92473

Reaction score
Jellybean loves our fake tree and now matter how we try to block her from it, she gets underneath and starts nibbling at the fake needles! Is there something I can spray under/around the tree or something I can hang from it that will repel her? We can't even put our presents under the tree because they'll be chewed to shreds! Gah! We had no idea what we were getting ourselves into 9 months ago!!

I think everyone has different ways of handling it depending on one's tolerance for...ehhh... the unusual.

Years ago when the kids were little and we had rabbits, my hubby made a barricade. He used pieces of plywood that were 20-24" high and then hinged them so they could make a 'fence' around the tree. I wrapped the wood in a dark green Christmassy fleece.

More recently, with an artificial tree, I raised the tree up on a box and then used pieces of cardboard to slope the sides from the top edge of the box to the tree trunk (to prevent them from hopping on the box). All that was wrapped with the tree skirt.

Some people use an x-pen or nic grids.

I think I have a pic of what I did last year, but we couldn't put presents underneath until the day of. It's not so great, but it worked. The fleeced barricade worked better. I'll see if I can find a pic (pre-digital camera days).

100_7919 (640x480) - Copy.jpg

I have never had more than fleeting, temporary success with spray-on chew deterrents... including one that marketed itself as the most bitter substance on earth. The issue? Rabbits tend to LIKE bitter ><

The best answer to almost any "How can I make my bunny stop [doing] ______ to ______?" question is "block access" - rabbits are naughty, naughty creatures! They lack the innate desire to please that dogs have and have even less of a moral compass than cats (who have almost none). They have no shame. They're stubborn and determined. They have an impressive attention span when it comes to all things naughty. If they have a fear of consequences (which most don't), that fear only lasts for as long as it takes you to walk out of view. Blocking access is the only sure-fire method!

I use nic panels to surround the tree. Ours is real but I still don't want my buns to save me from the evil Christmas lights! It's not the prettiest but it works.

^"moral compass". Bwwwwwahahaha!!! That's hilarious and so true &#128514;

Actually, now that I think of it, it may not be entirely true that they have no moral compass... is it possible for a moral compass to always point towards "naughty"? My girls know darn well by now what behaviors we consider naughty... and they go out of their way to do them (but only when they think we aren't looking, of course).

But they're sooooo cute they know they won't be getting into any real trouble with us! I think so, permanently stuck on "naughty".

We just have an x-pen. Doesn't look the best but effective.

1385674_10202123712030782_1282586118_n.jpg

We have a wire pen we used to use, but now we just put it up on a folding table with enough room for presents and it gives them the whole underside to use like a cave--it's a win for all of us.

This year we decided to put the tree upstairs. (The bunnies have the whole downstairs.) The spot we usually put the tree was recently taken over by a piggie C&C.
Now I don't have to worry about cords, or chewing. :dancingorig:

I´ve downsized this year as if not, I´ll be moving out of the living room or the buns will have to have less space. I´ve got a little fibre optic tree on a small chest by the TV and out of their reach and it does look really nice. I´ve got lights but have the cords well out of reach and I´ve now resigned myself to no tall tree with all the trimmings for the time they´re around. Like the xpens around the tree though and they look OK and keep the buns out of mischief.

Jennifer, thanks for brightening my day, your description of bunny naughtiness hit the nail on the head, I laughed out loud.

We just have an x-pen. Doesn't look the best but effective.

1385674_10202123712030782_1282586118_n.jpg

Your pet tree is so cute! Awww..LOL!

I put up a small tree in the corner, surrounded by floor so Sophie doesn't venture over to it but I think next year I'll do this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jennifer, thanks for brightening my day, your description of bunny naughtiness hit the nail on the head, I laughed out loud.

They're the naughtiest of the naughties!

NIC Grids work great but if you have a larger rabbit it wont take long for him to figure out how to lean on it and eat the tree BETWEEN the grids. We had to make our nic grid barrier fairly long to keep our bigger boys out of the tree.

We laugh that Twigs will not try to jump the little fence we put up. He'll put his front feet on it and look over and try to nose bonk it out of the way.

1469845_10152015629043965_1303687912_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back