keeping a house rabbit.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snork_maiden

Reaction score
Im getting a bunny in about 4 months,and plan on keepin him/her as a house rabbit. Now, i also plan onkeeping the cage in my room, and letting him/her have the run of it. iknow how to bunny proof and things, my only concernis odor!how can i stop, or at least minimize it?

thanx XxX :D

Keep his or her litter pan clean. Watch where heor she pees, put the litterpan where he or she pees. Reallyjust keep things clean. I use yesterdays news and it is very good withsmell, I have also used carefresh and that was good.

I am sure others will give you some ideas. They can also tell you different kinds of litter.

hi and welcome! one way to get rid of most ofthe odor is to get a really absorbant litter and litter train your bunbefore letting him/her roam your room. i would recommend using somekind of wood litter in the box. here is a link of different woodpellets. also if the rabbit smells you could get it neutered/spayedbecause it may be scent glands.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15881&forum_id=1

hope this helps!

~ani-lover

another thing you can do is to get your rabbit fixed.

i have found that it made my male's pee smell way less, and it helps them litter train a lot easier.

JadeIcing wrote:
Keep his or her litter pan clean. Watch where he or shepees, put the litterpan where he or she pees. Really justkeep things clean. I use yesterdays news and it is very good withsmell, I have also used carefresh and that was good.

I agree with JadeIcing on that one. I also use Yesterday'sNews and LOVE It. I've used a couple other litters in thepast and had to change it everyday because I couldn't stand thesmell. Now with Yesterday's News I can change it every coupledays. It's wonderful!! Any of the Paper/Wood Pelletlitters would be a great choice.

Oh yea. Trust me no way I could deal with stinkylitter pans. I have 5-6 litter pans in my room. One being a flemishgiant, another being a bonded pair and two intact males.

My bunny smelled a lot less after he wasneutered!! I couldn't really notice it at all afterwards (but he shareda house with 4 cats...he would use their litter tray, but often did hiswee on the floor next to the tray (I guess he missed??!!)

Anyway, with rabbits the only real smell is wee smell, so as long asits litter trained, and you change the litter frequently enough, Idon't think you'll have a problem!

I read on one site that they used hay in their bunnies litter tray...sothey can eat and poop at the same time! Needs changing every day thoughfor hygeine reasons!! I usually found that my little guy would poopwhile eating, so there would be a pile of poops on the floor near hisfood bowl!!

Fiona

It can be a lot of work, or seem like it, but ifyou really keep things clean (make sure to get the bunny littertrainedbefore letting it run everywhere all the time) you will not have smellor very little.

My boy bunny isn't the best about his box - he tends to mark things -especially when we have him out with the girl. So, we use ablanket on the floor he usually wets a little tiny spot on and that Iend up washing daily :disgust:The things we do for theserabbits! lol.

I do keep plenty of litterboxes and I dump the main oneseveryother day - completely - but I have a really inexpensive litter and Iuse very little between them. bo actually has 2 boxes but onehe only sits in and eats hay - sometimes he will poo in it butsometimes not......

Anyhow, I clean the two main litterboxes with vinegar each week and just do the others as needed.

Bo has a stinky butt from a bit of dirty bottom, and we haven't figuredout what is exactly going on, but we don't smell him unless he's on usand it's not all that bad then. I keep his bottom wiped asmuch as possible. It's like having a toddler....... :?

JadeIcing wrote:
Oh yea. Trust me no way I could deal with stinky litterpans. I have 5-6 litter pans in my room. One being a flemish giant,another being a bonded pair and two intact males.
OMG! you are the goddess of smelly/not smelly boxes! :shock:

Have you had any trouble with stinky bottom? bo just hasn't kept himself as clean as he used to or something :(

I use Carefresh, which is readily available inthe UK. To be honest, neither of my two houserabbitsparticularly smell. When each of them firstarrived, I didn't touch the litter trays for a full week until they hadlearnt where it was and what it was for, and even then no one couldreally detect a smell at all.:D I use several sheets ofnewspaper to line the bottom, a decent layer of Carefresh and then fillup the litter tray (I used covered trays) with hay.

Latest posts

Back