Kaytee food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimandCocoa

Reaction score
I have been buying Kaytee timothy complete rabbit food for years. I know some members of this forum do not recommend Kaytee food, but I always thought it was fine, and plus it is cheaper than Oxbow.

I recently bought a 10lb bag of the Kaytee timothy complete food at Petco. I always dump the whole bag of food into a pet food container. One day when I was getting a scoop of food for Daisy, I saw a shelled peanut mixed in with the food! Imagine my surprise! Soon after that, I found another peanut, and another.... Currently I have found SIX shelled peanuts in this food!! I don't know how they got into the food but I find it very strange.

I just wrote to Kaytee to tell them about it, and I wanted to tell everyone on this forum too! I don't think I will buy their food again. If somehow all these peanuts can get into the bag of food, who knows what else will get in there?
:grumpy:

Here is a pic!

7211924186_eced15dd46_n.jpg

I've had problems with Kaytee before.

Check this thread from a few years ago...
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=38714&forum_id=48
Even then, they were advertly mixing extra stuff in...INCLUDING SHELLED PEANUTS!!!

I used to have to go thru the pellets with a fine tooth comb to sort out all of the junk that got into it.

When Kaytee recently changed the formulation for Timothy Complete, my buns wouldn't eat it.....so I went back to Purina and they've never been in better condition.

Peanuts?! Have they lost it? lol I've never fed anything with the extra "tidbits" in it. Since I used to breed rabbits mine eat Kent Pellets, makes them look so nice and healthy.

Jim - thanks for the link to that old thread about Kaytee! Sounds like you were getting a lot of stuff mixed in that shouldn't have been. No wonder you switched food! I have never had this problem before with Kaytee, but I feel like they are going downhill with their quality control or something.

I think I will probably switch to Oxbow food now.

:bunny19

I buy the 5lb bags of kaytee and use a 1/4 measuring cup, haven't seen anything weird in my bags, but I intend on switching them over to the sherwood or pfaus within the next couple months.

Arrghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

What should I do now folks?

When I first brought Peanut home, I was feeding her Mazuri rabbit feed. Peanut was loving the Mazuri feed.

Then , out of the blue, Petsmart (the only store in town that carries Mazuri) stopped carrying it.

I had no choice but to switch brands to Kaytee timothy complete.

For the last month Peanut has been eating mix of Mazuri and Kaytee food.

After reading all the bad things about Kaytee, I feel like switching Peanut to another brand.

Peanut doesn't take well to switching brands "cold turkey" and I have to mix foods for at least a month before she get's used to the new food.

I'm bringing Peanut in for her spay next month, so what should I do?

I tried switching Harvey to Oxbow since I could find it cheaper than his Kaytee food. But the stinker didn't like Oxbow. I've been thinking of switching again, but entirely sure what else to try.

Latest posts

Back