Just spayed, bunnies fighting.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kasb

Reaction score
Hi guys, please could someone assist, I'm in a little shock. I had my buns spayed on Wednesday so they are still recovering.

They are sisters from the same litter and have been a dream together. I found a bit of fur yesterday and thought nothing of it. But just walked in on them fighting. I have separated them and tried to get them back together offering treats which did not work.

I moved them into the house for recovery. They live outside in a hutch but have free run of the garden and house each day.

I've been told to keep them in the hutch (made indoor hutch) for 10 days to restrick them.

Could it be the spay or the fact they don't have as much room.

I'm really panicking

Thank you

I'm guessing the vet suggested keeping them together. Vets commonly (mistakenly) suggest this after a spay or neuter. Unfortunately, after surgery, bunnies are uncomfortable and also may have lingering hormones (especially after male neuter).

They should be kept separate until fully healed. They are grumpy and that can account for scuffles. What you definitely don't want is for them to be fighting now as it may prevent them from bonding once they are healed.

Now that they are spayed, they are like two stranger rabbits with different scents/odors on them from the vets. They need to heal on their own. When it is time to put them back together, it should be approached as if they never met before. In other words, the bonding process will begin afresh. Any prior "bonding" they may have had doesn't really count.

While they are healing, they can each be kept in separate enclosures that limit their mobility.

Thank you, I wish I had known this I would have been better prepared. My indoor sets for them have just been shortened to third of the space So they are not happy

Luckily their outdoor hutch are 2 large hutch which I connected together with a wooden box. I guess I'll be turning into 2 hutch's tomorrow?

Aww this make a me very sad. I kind of feel like I have 2 different rabbits.

I don't suppose you have a website or anything that will help me re-bond them. I don't want to get it wrong ?

Latest posts

Back