Just Saw Something Very Disturbing (AC Will Not Do Anything)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AC did show up but im unsure of what they told the neighbors as I didn't want my name known when I called in.
Hopefully they atleast won't be able to have rabbits anymore.

If they weren't starved I would be very surprised. I don't want to get into detail about every horrific I and other neighbors have witnessed from these people. But they continue to get animals and ignore them.

Im not one to call AC all the time. I have only called twice myself. But other neighbors have called mutiple times. So its definately not just me seeing how sick the situation is.

I also want to make it clear that I NEVER have tried to take the law into my own hands ever. Never "rescued"/stole any of their animals to save them.

My Lab was dumped on me by them when I knocked on their door because he had been chained up all night long at 9 weeks and cried all night. The neighbor was upset the breeder wouldn't take him back. And she was sick of him pooping and peeing in their home. So she plopped him in my arms and goes "you sick of him crying, you take him". Its an even longer story than that. But I don't want to go into it.

Also remember that not all states AC is the same. Ohio is well known for very poor petwelfare when it comes to this kind of stuff.

You did the right thing Samantha. Its also good that AC came out, although I can appreciate that it is hard not knowing the outcome. All you and your neighbours can do is keep doing what you are doing, which is keeping an eye out for signs of abuse and/or neglect. At least the animals have someone looking out for them.

LionsRawr wrote:
I also want to make it clear that I NEVER have tried to take the law into my own hands ever. Never "rescued"/stole any of their animals to save them.
Oh dear no Samantha, I never would of thought you would, it was more of a statement to everyone. As there have been a couple of cases in the past where people have 'liberated' animals, I don't want to go in to details about it, but I had to cut off all contact with one of the persons as I could not bear to have anything to do with their logic.

We came in to possession of our horses the same way, they were in a paddock next to our neighbors and they were skin and bones, worm ridden and mosquito bitten to the point where they were walking corpses. We marched up to the owner, told her that either she was to give us the animals (we said we'd be happy to reimburse her for them) or that we would call the RSPCA and Animal Cruelty. She was happy to give them to us and they lived happy full lives to this day.

Actually I don't think ALL of Ohio is known for poor animal control. That is a very blatant statement. I lived in Ohio previously and volunteered at 2 shelters.

Most people don't understand what kind of paperwork is involved and what laws there are that even protect horrible pet owners in most states. ACOs work very hard and see things that most of us will never see on their job. Thank god I don't have to. They have to learn to bite their tongues and go about things the legal way which is sad but the only course of action they have to try and fix the problems.
In the county I currently live in the shelter is very, very small and has a huge area to cover which explains their slowness in responding to every call. They just aren't capable of it. In other counties I have lived in they repond to many, many false reports which takes up much of their very needed time.
In almost every case it is peoples faults that AC can't do or take care of everything we want them to. I wish it were different.
I have known many hardworking, dilligent ACOs over the years and I have heard their frustration and their pain when talking to them. I am glad there are those who can do this job because I couldn't.

Thank you for clarifying, Jess...although I'm sure most understood what you meant by that. :) My Elf was actually a meat breed of rabbit and was being sold in a pet store. I guess it just happens from time to time.

I know you wanted to clarify, but I hope we can remain on topic in the thread and address the situation LionsRawr is working through only.

Thanks!

Since you've gotten good advice about what to do, i'd just like to point out..
Thats uhm, and expensive.. uhm, hobby. Where I live, in petstores Bun's range from 30-50$ ..

I contacted the SPCA and they said that they would be in contact with them.

I feel like I have done everything in my power without causing serious neighborhood drama. Everything in my body told me to go over there and rip that couple a new one. But that wasent going to make the rabbits come back.

And small off topic statement. I am with Jess where I just think that Pet shop rabbits wouldnt make good meat rabbits. But I don't know much about that anyways.

Latest posts

Back